temp problems

Started by hoover, August 29, 2012, 10:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoover

Hi, I've had a Bradley 4 rack original since christmas and have made a lot of good stuff.  However I have temp issues all the time.  If its cold out around 20 to 30 i can't get my temp up past 150.  I'm smoking jerky today (which is awsome) peheated for 1hr t0 250+ put in 5.5lbs of muscle jerky 1/4 thick temp will stay at 150 to 160 for the first 2.5 hrs.  I leave my meat out for 1 hr before i put it in I leave the vent wide open.  I've replace the seal, temp probe what else can I do.  I love using it and for jerky its ok because I only have to get to about 160ish but for anything else i can't get a hi enough heat.  I love doing ribs but it will take 3 plus hrs to get to 225.....

any ideas help

devo

If you only have one element you will always have temp swings when doing big loads. Some people put a couple of bricks in to help the recovery times. Also if yo fill your water bowl use hot water, this will also help. Or you can do a duel element mod like so many do. Just do a search for it on the forums.

Sent from my iPad using crapatalk

mikecorn.1

Ditto on what Devo said. I kept two bricks in mine for over two years before I dueled mine out. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

Quote from: hoover on August 29, 2012, 09:28:59 AMIf its cold out around 20 to 30 i can't get my temp up past 150.

With cold outdoor temps the single 500W element Bradley struggles to reach the setpoint.  You have several options.

1. Make a "house" for your smoker so it is not directly exposed to the cold weather.  Some members have posted pics of some real nice ones they made with a smoke vent, insulated walls, lights and more.  Keeping it out of the wind will help the temp rise faster.  Some insulated blanket material attached to the outside walls helps if you don't want to build a whole enclosure.

My New Smoker Home

My Smoker Just Got A New Home

Winter Time Smoking

When/If It Gets Cold Out

Hot Smoke in Cold Temps

2.  Add a second element for 1000W total or replace the single 500W element with a 900W finned element.  Both are popular upgrades on the forum.  It is highly recommended to get a PID controller if you add wattage to the original design.

Additional Heating Element Modification

Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control

PID Controller

Auber Plug & Play PIDs

KyNola

Or maybe you could just call Bradley as your smoker is still under warranty. ;)

John Renner

I use a piece of carpet wrapped around my smoker in the winter.  Helps out, as without it, I struggle to 150° when I set it at 200°.  Using the carpet, I got up to 185°, so then I adjust the SET temperature up to 230.  Using a thermometer hanging down into the smoke vent (on top), I get a temp around 200°.  Use the thermometer trick at all times to verify actual inside temp.