American BBQ sauce advice.

Started by manxman, August 30, 2012, 09:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Looking to get a good American BBQ sauce from one of the suppliers of American groceries here in the UK, looks like we can get Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Cattleman's, Stubbs and a few others such as:

www.americansweets.co.uk/other-branded-bbq-sauces-178-c.asp

I am in the middle of the summer holidays with my two boys and we often have up to additional 6 of their friends around all aged between 11 and 15. Weather permitting (awful summer over here!) we are spending the days swimming, boating, fishing, walking and snorkelling......they soon build up big appetites.  ;)

Their favourite meal has been pulled pork sandwiches which I have been making in large quantities. (they are fans of Man V Food!)

There is a UK made Jack Daniels Full Smokey Flavour sauce they like but all the other UK versions they have tried have got a thumbs down. I would like to get some authentic American ones and would appreciate some advise about the best ones from those mentioned above and in the link... either the best manufacturer or individual sauce? !  ;)

Know I should be making one myself but I haven't got the time!  :-[

Thanks.
Manxman

squirtthecat

I'd pick up a few of the Stubbs.  They make some tasty sauces.

OU812

I got a big ol jug of Cattlemans in the fridge right now,,,,,good stuff.

manxman

Thank you squirtthecat and  OU812, much appreciated. They will be made up when they know they are having authentic American BBQ Sauce on their pulled pork (and ribs)!  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I enjoy any of the Rufus Teague varieties. Here in the northeast, many competition teams use Sweet Baby Ray's Original and thin it with either apple or white grape juice; it gives the chicken a nice glaze and taste, and it reduces the sweetness; using it straight it's just too sweet. Stubbs is another favorite of mine, but I didn't see it listed. If you like spicy and not overly hot, Tabasco Spicy BBQ Sauce is another favorite of mine. My best all around BBQ sauce is not listed; Dinosaur's Roasted Garlic Honey.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Cattlemans is good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

manxman

QuoteStubbs is another favorite of mine

There is a website that supplies a good variety of the Stubbs sauces and rubs in the UK so that is something I am going for. Looks like Cattleman's is another to try. Thanks Habs/ mikecorn.1.  :)

Habs, I have managed to find a place selling the Dinosaur's Roasted Garlic Honey in the UK...... 

http://www.hot-headz.com/chilli-sauce/hot-garlic-sauce/dinosaur-bbq-roasted-garlic-honey-bbq-sauce/

Looks like they have a good variety of sauces....... too much choice!  :)

The boys still talk about Pat's (Iceman) legendary sauce, think that is still their all time favourite!!  ;)
Manxman

Consooger

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Iceman's sauce!!!!!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Habanero Smoker

If you get Dinosaur's I think you will like it. Though it is a thinner sauce than most tomato basted sauces. It also makes a great dipping sauce for almost anything.

I agree with you on Pat's sauce. I still may have one or two bottles aging.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Sweet Baby Ray's is way to sweet for me as well. My favorite is Pat's sauce as well. Nothing else even comes close for me. Unfortunately he is out of the business. Luckily I still have 1 unopened jar in the pantry.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Keymaster

There was a Lady and two daughters at the store yesterday and they were looking for Cattlemans and her husband obviously had sent her on this mission as she stated when they could not find it that she had already been to three stores and there was only one store left to try. That must be some good stuff but I never tried it :)

manxman

QuoteI still may have one or two bottles aging.

QuoteLuckily I still have 1 unopened jar in the pantry.

Didn't think for one minute there would still be any of Pat's sauce still around, admire your restraint guys! All most of us are left with are memories!!  ::) ;)

Cattleman's, Stubbs and Dinosaur's  are the ones I am going to start with.  :)

Just to check, is this the Cattlemen's in question?:

http://admin.americansoda.co.uk/Client/AmericanSoda/product/CattlemensKansasCityClassicBBQSauce40OZ1.13kg--8d597-L.jpg

thanks.
Manxman

OU812

Quote from: manxman on September 03, 2012, 11:59:14 PM
QuoteI still may have one or two bottles aging.

QuoteLuckily I still have 1 unopened jar in the pantry.

Didn't think for one minute there would still be any of Pat's sauce still around, admire your restraint guys! All most of us are left with are memories!!  ::) ;)

Cattleman's, Stubbs and Dinosaur's  are the ones I am going to start with.  :)

Just to check, is this the Cattlemen's in question?:

http://admin.americansoda.co.uk/Client/AmericanSoda/product/CattlemensKansasCityClassicBBQSauce40OZ1.13kg--8d597-L.jpg

thanks.

Yep,,,,,,,that the one in my fridge

manxman

QuoteYep,,,,,,,that the one in my fridge

Thanks OU812 :)
Manxman

manxman

QuoteCattleman's, Stubbs and Dinosaur's  are the ones I am going to start with.

Well,got these ordered today and the pulled pork is on an overnight smoke/cook at the moment.

Came across this book when I was ordering the sauce, can anyone recommend it?

www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Bar-B-Que-An-American-Roadhouse/dp/1580082653
Manxman