American BBQ sauce advice.

Started by manxman, August 30, 2012, 09:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

That is one of the books I have been meaning to order, but never got around to doing so. The reviews look very good. Scanning through the customer ratings, the only 3 star rating was about how the order was handled, and not the content of the book. Now that this is fresh on my mind, I will order it today.

As a matter of fact that is were I first heard the term "pull off the bone tender". I have used his Red Rub, and Mutha Sauce a few times on my ribs and love it. One of these days, I will use the Red Rub on a butt. I have eaten at two of his restaurants, Troy and NYC. Both were good barbecue and the taste of the food at each different locations was the same. My opinion may be subjective, since these restaurant are located in New York State (except for the one in Newark, NJ).   ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteThat is one of the books I have been meaning to order, but never got around to doing so.

Yes, the reviews do look very good and on that basis I went ahead and ordered it anyway.  :) I just wonder if anyone on the forum had the book and used any of the recipes.

Quoterestaurant are located in New York State

Visiting New York is on my list of things to do, one of these days I will get around to it and the list of restaurants I want to visit is expanding!  ::)

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I finally placed my order today. The Red Rub, and Mutha Sauce are from his book, so that is the only recipes I have tried.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

czartman

Got the book for Christmas last year. Everything I've tried has been great.  A good mix of smoker, grill, and stove top recipes. The Mac & Cheese Shepherds Pie is the bomb.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

manxman

QuoteGot the book for Christmas last year. Everything I've tried has been great.  A good mix of smoker, grill, and stove top recipes. The Mac & Cheese Shepherds Pie is the bomb.

That's good to know, thanks czartman.  :) Looking forward to getting my copy.
Manxman

manxman

Happy days........... the book and the array of sauces I ordered have arrived.  :)

I collect cookery books, I rarely follow recipes but usually just use them to get ideas for developing recipes of my own.

This book is one of those I will be following many the recipes as they appear, it really is a good book and thoroughly recommended IMHO.
Manxman

OU812

WOO HOO!

Let the games begin

I put that book on my wish list,,,,,,,,,looks like a good read

manxman

QuoteWOO HOO! Let the games begin

Oh yes! Got my weekend mapped out already!  ;)

Manxman

thirtydaZe

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Habanero Smoker

I received my Dinosaur Barbecue cook book, "An American Roadhouse"; yesterday. The recipes look great, but it doesn't give much detail on how to BBQ American style (which I don't need anyway, I have a few other books that cover that). The recipes covers a lot of the foods he provides at his restaurants, there are a few low & slow recipes, but most are for the grill, oven or stove top. Even most of the oven recipes could be adapted for a charcoal/wood burner or grill, and stove top recipes could be converted for grills.

So if you are looking for a book that goes into detail on how to barbecue, you will be disappointed. If you want a good book on a few barbecue recipes, with far more recipes that compliment barbecue, this is the book to get. I'm glad I purchased mine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteSo if you are looking for a book that goes into detail on how to barbecue, you will be disappointed. If you want a good book on a few barbecue recipes, with far more recipes that compliment barbecue, this is the book to get. I'm glad I purchased mine.

Habs take on the book is spot on, it is the recipes that I was after and there is something to suite most occasions.  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I should also mention I love how the book is written, the quotes throughout the book from Dinosaur patrons and others, and the pictures they include.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Quotea new favorite in our house.

Found this for sale in the UK also, I am well sorted now!!  :)

Manxman