Cheese

Started by The Life of Brine, September 02, 2012, 01:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Life of Brine

How important is it to vac pack smoked cheese?

My previous lots were wrapped in cling film and left for 2+ weeks in the fridge.
Results were good after the 2 weeks.
The present lot is sitting loose in a 2 litre plastic container in the fridge.
It may already be drier than previous efforts.

What is your advice?

muebe

When storing for long periods vac sealing is the best option..
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

devo

Ya what he said. Man how do you eat smoked cheese just after 2 weeks  :P  Your a better person than I am thats for sure

The Life of Brine

Quote from: muebe on September 02, 2012, 01:20:00 PM
When storing for long periods vac sealing is the best option..

Why?

On the time in the fridge, the cheese was bitter/strong under 2 weeks and beautiful to eat at 3 weeks.

Is everyone vacuum sealing the cheese after smoking or are some not doing this and what are your results?

KyNola

While I prefer vac sealing cheese, double wrapping it in cling film(as you call it) will work just fine.  I have done both and don't see/taste a discernable difference.

pensrock

I have smoked cheese in the fridge thats almost two years old. Looks like the day I put it in there. I wrap it with plastic wrap and put it into a zip bag. I rarely vac pac it unless I cut it after smoking and plan to keep it a while. For some reason the smoke layer preserves the cheese and it does not get moldy. Now if you cut it the mold will start like any other cheese so I would then vac it up. Since I have done it both ways, I cannot taste any difference between the two. Maybe my tastes are not as good as other peoples but it taste just fine to me both ways.

The Life of Brine

Thanks for your excellent replies.

Bought a vacuum sealer today.
Once it's charged up I"ll deal to this loose cheese and look for the difference,

The Life of Brine

To those who say smoked cheese should be left a long time before eating - you are so right!

Have now waxed some older cheese and the taste and texture is divine.

BAM1

Keep your posts coming.  It's nice to see perspective from a different land.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ