Juicy Grilled Brats

Started by TedEbear, September 04, 2012, 09:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

I couldn't find anything in this section about brats so I decided to do this.  The technique is something I did a few days ago and they turned out quite well.  The main thing is the method goes totally against everything I've read about on how to cook a juicy brat.  I tried it, it is simple and it works.

Boil 2 quarts apple juice (substitute 3 beers and 36 ounces of water if you prefer) and toss in some chopped sweet onion:

Pierce the casings on 10 brats 3 times on each side with a fork and add them to the boiling juice.  Reduce to a slow boil for 15-20 minutes.

After 20 minutes the brats are fully cooked.  Remove them from the pot and grill for 4-6 minutes to add color and texture, turning frequently.  I grilled some Italian sausage patties at the same time.

Strain the onions from your pot full of juices and brown them in a skillet.  Spread the onions over your finished product and ring the dinner bell.

More about piercing the brat casings with a fork before boiling.  I can already hear people saying, "Is he kidding???"   ;D   It has been my experience, no matter how careful I am with grilling brats, that the casings usually end up splitting.  That releases a whole lot of juices.  When you make a few tiny holes with a fork you allow the steam to escape and no explosion and very little escaping juice.  Plus, the holes let the brats absorb some of the flavor of the boiling mixture.

Here's where I got most of my idea from:  Directions to the Perfect Beer Bratwurst

muebe

Looks great!

I have not made brats in a while!
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

squirtthecat

I love those Schnuck's brats!  And that was a helluva price they had on them..

classicrockgriller

Beer Brats are awesome and I pierce the skin to let it all soak in.

Thanks for the reminder.

iceman

Dang!! That is awesome looking. Thanks for the post.

DADAKOTA

I always obil them in beer and onions then brown them up on the grill.  You don't need much time over the heat to brown them.  Might have to try the piercing method next time.