PID Controller

Started by XLR8R, September 05, 2012, 01:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XLR8R

Hey all!

Do I still need a PID temp controller if I just purchased a new BT1S1?

Thanks!

KyNola

You don't need a PID on any Bradley unit.  Some folks like them for tighter temp control if you are smoking sausage or fish.  Others use them to help control the temp swings that occur when you first load the Bradley with meat.

A nice accessory for some, but necessary? No, not at all.

beefmann

welcome aboard,

as for needing a PID no you  dont need one, though its  is very help full in controlling temperature swings in the cabanet

XLR8R

That makes sense.  Thanks guys!   ;D

dsmiley

Kynola's response was about as concise as it could be.  I would like to add a few thoughts though.  We like anything that gives us better control over the smoking/cooking process.  Some of the items that help with this control can be pricey and I would put a PID into that category.  That being said, and having smoked a year without one and 1.5 yr. with one, if I could choose only one item or modification to the OBS to help with my smoking, it would be the PID.  So, while it is not necessary, I think the BTIS1 and a PID are a perfect marriage.

Dean
"You will thank us for smoking."

Dean

KyNola

Quote from: dsmiley on September 06, 2012, 07:27:56 AM
Kynola's response was about as concise as it could be.  I would like to add a few thoughts though.  We like anything that gives us better control over the smoking/cooking process.  Some of the items that help with this control can be pricey and I would put a PID into that category.  That being said, and having smoked a year without one and 1.5 yr. with one, if I could choose only one item or modification to the OBS to help with my smoking, it would be the PID.  So, while it is not necessary, I think the BTIS1 and a PID are a perfect marriage.
Very well said Dean!

TedEbear

Quote from: dsmiley on September 06, 2012, 07:27:56 AMSome of the items that help with this control can be pricey and I would put a PID into that category.

Not necessarily.  An Auber PID controller that you can install in either the SG box or a project box is about $45.  Even with buying the accessories that go with it such as a thermocouple, SSR, heat sink and a few miscellaneous items the total cost is around $70-80.

Alex_H

i just tried the Auberin PID one BIG adavantage that of any PID has you can trully set it and forget it

I started smoking at 19hrs, before i went to bed i made sure the water container has enough water and i have enough pucks.

Woke up and the Uberin did all the hard work i just had to wrap it in folio

The disadvantage is that the instructions are bit hard to digest but reading the forum helped me

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Alex_H on September 11, 2012, 08:22:59 AM
i just tried the Auberin PID one BIG adavantage that of any PID has you can trully set it and forget it

I started smoking at 19hrs, before i went to bed i made sure the water container has enough water and i have enough pucks.

Woke up and the Uberin did all the hard work i just had to wrap it in folio

The disadvantage is that the instructions are bit hard to digest but reading the forum helped me
Ditto on the instructions. But once you do it a couple of times, it's easy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

rexster

The instructions suck, written for a tech engineer. The forum helped me out plus once you get your hands on it and play with it, it makes perfect sense. I'm sold on it
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer