Mixing flavours - in which order ?

Started by TashonkaWitko, September 06, 2012, 02:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TashonkaWitko

Hi all. I'd like to ask you for advice. Personaly, I prefer stronger smoke flavours like oak and hickory (therefore use them for whole smoking process), but my relatives would like to test something more "subtle". That's why, I've decided to mix a pucks with different flavour - maybe some apple or alder and some hickory or oak, for example ...

But now I am not sure in which order they should be used. Should I start with "soft" first, and then use stronger ones at the end, or should I use reversed order ? Or to mix it in some special manner ? Is there some "general rule"  or it depends only on personal preferences ?

TW

Wildcat

Personal preference. I love strong flavors myself and I have found that apple is a good middle of the road. I use apple for everything and sometimes use hickory, oak or mesquite woods on beef. I could live with just apple.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TashonkaWitko

Wildcat - thank you for reply ... but ... if you are going to use TWO or MORE flavours together during ONE smoking, in which order you will use them ?  Soft first, stronger later, or vice versa ?

mikecorn.1

Kinda hard to say. You could say that if you use a mild in first, then the stronger one would just mask it completely. Or you could say that if you use the stronger on first, the product will take that flavor and the mild wouldn't make a difference. :o your guess is as good as mine.  Go with the apple to make them happy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

Can't make everyone happy. I say do what you like.

If they complain just tell em' that I said to shut up and eat it ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TashonkaWitko

:D   :D

Yes, nice answwer  ;)  But, by reading this forum I know, there are users, who are used to mixing pucks with different flavour ... making "something special". There must be some a reason why to do it "in this way" and not "that way". Ok, maybe not a reason, but some kind od mystery  ;)

squirtthecat

I usually dropped the open packages while I was carrying everything out to the smoker, so however I picked them up is how they went in.   ;)

I would try Apple/Oak/Apple/Oak/Rinse/Repeat..

Wildcat

Many folks can't tell the difference in smoke flavors. I can, but not if I mix them. I mix mine when I am running out of one type and have to supplement the smoke with another.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Brady Smoker!

I used apple and pecan last weekend to smoke jerky, i alternated them, 1 apple 1 pecan etc, good smoke flavour but not too strong
BDS 4 RACK

mikecorn.1

To add to what I said above. as mentioned. The only ones I can tell a difference in are maple cause it's sweet to me, apple cause it's a light smoke flavor. The hard woods I don't taste a difference but that's probably cause Something weird  is going on with me ;D
I've never used alder or cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

czartman

I remember reading somewhere that you should put the stronger flavor on first, but don't really remember why. I've mixed flavors  that way, as well as by alternating and don't really recall noticing a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

classicrockgriller

Just something I have done in the past is (like a brisket),

smoke with 6 hrs of pecan to start and then 2 hours of apple at the end

of the cooking time to add smoke to the bark. Both those woods are

middle of the road in strongness.