Storing Bradley Outdoors...? : |

Started by SmokeNSolace, October 25, 2012, 06:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeNSolace

Title pretty much sums it up. and I'm not a fan of the idea. I dont relish the thought of my Bradley (all weather cover or not) sitting outside in 6+ inches of snow. Nor is storing it in a garage or inside a feasible option. I could store the smoke generator inside easily enough. But not the entire unit. As to that I've been looking at some of the cabinets people have made/modified.

Building one out of wood is out of the question, my carpentry skills capped off with Lincoln logs.

So i was looking at the Rubbermaid type outdoor cabinets. I've seen at least one post where it was vented at the top. Sexy. however, i dont intend to smoke in poor weather, but i want to protect my BOS through this winter and many to come.

--------------
questions -

If i did get one of these cabinets would it be necessary to vent the top if i smoked with the doors open and left around 6+ inches of clearance between the top of the smoker and the roof?

And are there any particular cabinets or storage options that people have had particular success with?

Thanks guys  : )

mikecorn.1

Just my two pennies worth, I think if your leave the doors open and have more than 6" above the vent, then it should be ok. No smoke should back up and try to come out the smoke generator.
I will probably stand corrected in a bit ;) ;D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

JZ

I agree with Mike although if you vent the smoker inside of the cabinet then you are going to get creosote build up inside of your storage cabinet above the smoker vent. Its certainly worth a try and if you find the creosote build up gets excessive then you can run a vent tube from the bradley up through the storage cabinet.

OU812

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on October 25, 2012, 06:34:26 PM
Just my two pennies worth, I think if your leave the doors open and have more than 6" above the vent, then it should be ok. No smoke should back up and try to come out the smoke generator.

Good one  ;D

SmokeNSolace;

Make sure you anchor that cabnet down,,,,,,,it will blow over

KyNola

Now Mike, why would you possibly ever believe you might be corrected? ;)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: KyNola on October 25, 2012, 07:05:16 PM
Now Mike, why would you possibly ever believe you might be corrected? ;)
;D 

Mike

devo

One of the better investments I ever made

mikecorn.1

Quote from: devo on October 25, 2012, 07:33:43 PM
One of the better investments I ever made

I like the built in shelving so you can keep the thermapen on it ;) ;D

Mike

TomW

I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

SmokeNSolace

I love that unit beefman. Going to take some measurements today and pick up a cabinet.

I am assuming all that venting is custom?

squirtthecat

I've got a similar unit to Beefman's.  Suncast Tall Storage cabinet.

No venting, I just cracked the doors open the let the smoke out.   Yes, it is well 'seasoned' inside now.   ;D

SmokeNSolace

I ordered a tabletop unit which interior measurements should check out and leave plenty of room on top. Only problem is i have no idea where i am going to put my Auber PID. Does anyone know if mounting an Auber Duel Probe on its side is a problem? I'm not sure how the device is vented.

I may end up having to get a larger cabinet and just use what i ordered for the bottom portion. If so no great loss. If so that suncast looks good, but will i run into the same issue?