PID or PITA?

Started by SmokeNSolace, November 11, 2012, 06:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeNSolace

OH MY GOODNESS. I'm counting to 10 before writing....

So i have a BOS with a duel probe PID. Cooking a pork shoulder.

Programmed

C01 - 250 - t 1.5 H (my preheat)
C02 - 210 - t  4h  r1 - 2 r2 - 2
C03 - 210 - F - 180

Now I've never used the meat probe before because i only made ribs with the pid. So i put both probes in at the beginning of the preheat. 35 minutes later the damn thing is high pitch beeeeeeeping at me. and the meat probe is reading a code and going back to its temp. It wont shut up, so i unplug the meat probe. Now it just reads -H-.

I HATE THE PID. PLEASE HELP BEFORE I USE THIS POS AS TARGET PRACTICE FOR MY SCAR-17!!!! I'm trading all the joy i had in smoking for a more precise temperature control.

My main question. How do i make sure its basing its Stop on Temp on the desired probe.

I want it to base its C01 on probe 1 and C03 on probe 2. So i get an accurate cabinet temperature and an accurate internal meat temperature when they matter.

Please smokers give me your wisdom.

SmokeNSolace

EDIT ----

Sorry C01 is set to end on temp 250. not time. I used time to preheat for the ribs. was trying something new here.

GusRobin

Try switching the probes and see if yo get the same results, if not it could be a bad probe. If you get the same
result then there is either a problem with the PID or a setting. If it is the later, call Auber, Suyi is very responsive and probably can walk you thru it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

rexster

Check your setting for the high limit alarm. Sounds like it might be set too low
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

SmokeNSolace

high limit alarm. that would make sense. It popped off over 200 degrees. Doesn't this thing come factory set for salmon as well? 

Yep it just happened again. over 200 degrees on the meat probe. Im assuming its in the LCK 166 menu. Does anyone know the corresponding reference letters? Thanks all. Going to go check the Auber website too.

SmokeNSolace

You are SAINTS! Thats what it was. Problem fixed. And i gratefully retract my POS comment. While the PID is a PITA, it is a very well built and designed one. Cheers

SmokeNSolace

Oh and as reference.

The fix was.

Set LCK  188

Probe 1 - High Limit Reference = AH1
                                                    AL1 (low)
                                   Probe 2 = AH2