removing unused pucks

Started by spineasy, September 07, 2012, 05:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spineasy

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new Bradley Original smoker and this is my first post to the forum.  A stupid newbie question for all of you.  I just seasoned the smoker and it says to place 5 bisquettes in the tube and to use 3 of them to season it.  So.... did that, and my question is, how do all of you remove the unused bisquettes?  I let it go past three and there are 2 in the water tray and 2 that I can see on the arm.  Whats the best way to remove the last one?  Also, do you "sacrifice" a puck or 2 each time you do this?  Any advice/tips here are greatly appreciated! 

Wildcat

Simple - To save money in the long run purchase (or fabricate) two or three Bubba Pucks. They are metal pucks that will push the last of the wood pucks onto the burner plate.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Ditto, got some myself, make sure and get 3
Mike

spineasy

Thank you for the quick replies.  Ordering 3 tonight!

Keymaster

I always just use the pushers first on the next run if I can. Just keep them nice and dry. Or get the bubba pucks :)

mikecorn.1

you can go with two and use one wood puck for the third. I did that for a while but ended up getting one more.
Mike

pokermeister

Bubba pucks pay for themselves after several smokes. Only way to go, IMHO.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

TedEbear

If you have access to some 2-inch dia thick-walled pipe you can make your own for free.  Cut them into 1/2-inch lengths, bevel the edges so they slide easier and there you have it.   ;)

Habanero Smoker

Hi Spineasy;

Welcome to the forum.

Don't leave the current bisquettes in the generator/cabinet. Humidity can cause them to swell, then the one that is still in the generator housing can become more difficult to remove and create a mess.

Before Bubba Pucks were invented by forum member Kummok, I waited until the unit cooled down and just reach under the drip tray to retrieve them. Or you can use metal tongs, when the unit is still hot.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

John Renner

Here is a tip: Move the water bowl away from where the pucks drop.  Let the pucks drop onto the metal pan and finish smoking.  Puck efficiencies are 100% by doing this (they burn all the way down instead of being doused-out in the water bowl.  Plus, it helps maintain heat to a small degree.

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: John Renner on September 26, 2012, 09:43:44 AM
Here is a tip: Move the water bowl away from where the pucks drop.  Let the pucks drop onto the metal pan and finish smoking.  Puck efficiencies are 100% by doing this (they burn all the way down instead of being doused-out in the water bowl.  Plus, it helps maintain heat to a small degree.

:o :o :o  Part of the point of the water bowl extinguishing the bisquette after 20 minutes is it means you only get reasonably pure smoke....  rather than some of the nasties of combustion that occur towards the end of the process...  which can cause off flavours in the meat.  To be honest though, I'm really only repeating Bradley marketing material...  I don't know if I could tell the difference  :)

muebe

Quote from: John Renner on September 26, 2012, 09:43:44 AM

You are risking a grease fire by doing this if smoking anything that will drip grease. I highly suggest people do not do this!

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

KyNola

John, if you want to run the risk of a grease fire, destroy your Bradley and maybe your house then feel free to continue doing what you are doing.

To the other newer members of the forum, please do not do what John is doing as John is 1000% wrong.  Grease can and will run down the back and side walls and into the metal tray where John's smoldering pucks are laying.  It WILL catch on fire.  The water bowl is there for a reason and it is not just to catch grease from the V-tray.  It is there to extinguish the pucks to prevent a grease fire.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on October 31, 2012, 01:48:22 PM
John, if you want to run the risk of a grease fire, destroy your Bradley and maybe your house then feel free to continue doing what you are doing.

To the other newer members of the forum, please do not do what John is doing as John is 1000% wrong.  Grease can and will run down the back and side walls and into the metal tray where John's smoldering pucks are laying.  It WILL catch on fire.  The water bowl is there for a reason and it is not just to catch grease from the V-tray.  It is there to extinguish the pucks to prevent a grease fire.

I agree 100% with this statement!  We are not here to criticize we are trying to ensure you get the most out of your smoker. When we see unsafe acts we do our best to point them out. Not to be ignorant,  but to look out for YOUR safety and the safety of others.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!