Storing smoked cheese - optimum temp

Started by 4given, September 10, 2012, 11:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

So I now have a decent stash of smoked cheese built up so I can get some decent age on it before we eat it all.  ;) I have it all vacuum packed and  I have a small 'fridge in the garage dedicated to cheese only. What is the best temp to shoot for in the fridge?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Smokin Sparky

I store my cheese at forty (40) degrees with no problem.  I found out (the hard way) that if the cheese freezes it becomes very crumbly.

:o    :o    :o

Blake
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Quarlow

Yup I found out the hard way. I bought a 20 lb block of cheese once and then got called out on the fishboats. My mom froze the block and yuck. It not only gets crumbly but it gets gritty too. It took a long time to eat that stuff.  :'(
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

4given

Yep, I found out about feezing cheese a long, long time ago. I just thought there may be a certain temp that cheese does the best for long term storage. I would like to get a year on some of it.
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Salmonsmoker

Standard fridge temp is 38-39 degrees. I have cheese smoked back in March that is very tasty right now and is still in prime condition..
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

mad_max

Hi, I freeze my cheese @ -28 C (think that's around -19 F) and it's perfect when taking out. I have no proof but I could bet it's even better than fresh after a few months in the freezer.

KyNola

Quote from: mad_max on October 05, 2012, 09:37:50 PM
Hi, I freeze my cheese @ -28 C (think that's around -19 F) and it's perfect when taking out. I have no proof but I could bet it's even better than fresh after a few months in the freezer.
I'll take that bet!

No frozen cheese at my house.

OU812

Quote from: KyNola on October 06, 2012, 06:46:42 AM
Quote from: mad_max on October 05, 2012, 09:37:50 PM
I'll take that bet!

No frozen cheese at my house.

What larry said

I store my cheese on the top shelf of the fridge in the man room and the fridge is set at 38 F

Quarlow

Yeah I will pass on the frozen cheese too. I did it once to a huge block of cheese I got from a customer and it was crumbly and gritty afterwards.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

muebe

And be careful storing in those vegetable/convertible meat drawers. Mine has a temp control I did not know about and ended up freezing the smoked cheese I had stashed back there  :o

I only did that once ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

Quote from: muebe on October 06, 2012, 08:06:12 AM
And be careful storing in those vegetable/convertible meat drawers. Mine has a temp control I did not know about and ended up freezing the smoked cheese I had stashed back there  :o

I only did that once ;)

My vegetable/convertible meat drawers are full of 5 lb bags of flour  ;D

mad_max

I'm doing it regularily with smoked gouda and edamer. I think that the problem with freezing is that when you put a big block of cheese in, it takes too long to freeze on the inside. During the slow process the shrinking cells loose a lot of water - what makes the cheese crumbly.  That's why I'm using slices ~ 2 cm thick and shock frost them to -28 C (not the regular -18).

KyNola

Different strokes for different folks my Austrian friend.  I will venture to say that you are the first person I have ever read on this Forum that prefers cheese that has been frozen.

If that's what you prefer, that's all good with me.