What do you do with.......

Started by Tenpoint5, September 11, 2012, 12:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

What do you do with a grocery bag full of Jalapeno's and a grocery bag 1/3 full of Serrano's?

String up the Serrano's. Well I have 10.5 1/4 sting them up.

Will be waiting for these to all turn red then dry out. Ground peppers in the future

The japs you trade One of the two grocery bags to the neighbor for some Salsa. The other bag you cut in half and fill 8 Bradley racks.

Stuff them into the 6 rack and apply some Hickory smoke. 4 hours and 20 minutes to be exact. More to come on these

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Keymaster

Your lucky to get all them peppers, nice!

classicrockgriller

beefmann

SiFumar

Nice!  Do they retain a lot of the smoke?

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

BAM1

Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

Ka Honu

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 11, 2012, 12:33:06 PM
What do you do with a grocery bag full of Jalapeno's.....

Spaghetti Western??  :o
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

After you apply the smoke to the Jalapenos you load them into the dehydrator you stole from your little brother.

After 12 hours @ 90 degrees they look like this

After 48 hours @ 130 degrees they look like this

That Walmart bag full of peppers has been reduced to half of a gallon Ziploc bag. When it stops raining these will go through the coffee grinder and make some Chipotle powder. Haven't decided if I will mix in some smoked salt with any of it yet. Ah DON'T scratch your nose with your pinky at ANY time during any of these process'. Still sneezing and burning.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

Chris, Those are not Jalapeno's in the smoker, they are Chilli's. Penos are smaller and rounded at the bottom, but smoked chillis are good ground up as well. :)
I like the way the Serrano's were strung up. :)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pensrock on September 13, 2012, 04:15:50 PM
Chris, Those are not Jalapeno's in the smoker, they are Chilli's. Penos are smaller and rounded at the bottom, but smoked chillis are good ground up as well. :)
I like the way the Serrano's were strung up. :)
Was just going with the information provided. Either way they got some heat

pensrock

Yep, smoked chillis are really good, not normally as warm as penos but taste real good. After smoking, drying and grinding try some in chili or in rubs.

Tenpoint5

All done with this project. There was some Jalapeno's, Serrano's, and Pablano's in the bag. That is the final information that I received. After smoking for 4:20 and 3 days in the dehydrator, I busted out the spice grinder this morning.

Only took about 5 minutes to reduce the bag of dried peppers to 1/3 of a sandwich bag.

Now with the last cap full of peppers. I added in some Hickory Smoked Sea Salt and made what I am calling Chipotle Salt. That is the mixture you see in the shaker. Looks like this with the lid off.

Yeah the whole batch has some heat to it. Just waiting for someone to complain my snack stixs aint hot enough for them!!

SouthernSmoked

Wow! That really turned out nice......HOLD ON!.....HOLD ON!!

All better now!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little