Cheese time vs. size

Started by fjp110, October 23, 2012, 08:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjp110

I have had really good luck with cold smoking cheese, so i figured it was time to mess with the formula.  I normaly smoke hard cheeses for 2 hours and use half pound blocks.  SO the question is . . . if I use smaller blocks should I decrease the time in the smoker?

JZ

My first thought is ........ if it works, why fix it? ;) You are happy with the results you get now so why change the method.

In response to your question I would think that the length of the cheese does not have much affect on the smoke flavor but the thickness would. If you have a piece of cheese that is 4" thick and 4" wide there will not be much smoke flavor (if any) in the middle and if the same cheese was only 1" thick you will get a much more pronounced smokey flavor in each slice. Of course it also depends on how much smoke taste you want in your cheese. I usually cut my pieces so they are 1"  thick. I have also recently been experimenting and have tried only smoking for 20 min or 30 min using the AMZPS instead of the Bradley smoke generator and found that the cheese is ready earlier this way (ie you don't have to wait for months to eat it - a few days is good) but the smokey flavor is much more subtle. I am going to continue experimenting with a little more smoke time until I get a combo of flavor and wait time that I prefer. We all have different tastes, some like it strong and others like it mild.  ;D

Hope this helps and I am sure others will be along soon to offer their help / suggestions.

Jim O

I do  lots of cheese and cut it 1" thick,and cold-smoike for 2 hrs with hickory or apple.

Everyone raves about my cheese but it's all a matter of preference,so experiment away !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !