Apparently my dog cant resist some boston butt

Started by yotatoy, September 18, 2012, 03:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yotatoy

Well, I bought a butt I was going to smoke last weekend, but other commitments and work got in the way so it was still sitting in my fridge last night. To prevent the pork from going bad I decided I would go out on a limb, (btw, this is my first time smoking pulled pork, have done ribs once and a chicken once thus far). So last night before bed I got her rubbed down, and got the bradley positioned on my front porch and my puck stackup ready to go in. This morning I arise at 0500 and turn on the smoker, back to bed for 25 mics, back up at 0525. Load the smoke, load the butt, shower/shave and off to work. Call the old lady at 1400 and have her check the internal temp (200), tell her to FTC it and will be ready to pull when I get home. So she FTC's it, brings the dogs in. Well apparently one of them rips thru the rear screen, goes around the front of the house, noses open the cooler, and eats a good 3lbs of my 4.5lb butt! Damn Dog!!! So I come home to a small cold lump of pork (about the size of a Cornish hen?). Be it wrong or right, it didnt look damaged by the dog, so I put it in some foil and in the oven at 325 for about 20 mins, to warm it, then pulled it and it tasted pretty damn good. Still a very disappointing end to the day, but I got some pork and I have enough to have a sandwich for lunch tomorrow.

Who else has dogs that like smoked food?

smoker pete

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 18, 2012, 03:25:29 PM

Yikes!

X2!!!  Dogs can be dogs but ... I believe I would have let the dog finish the pork and next time have the Mrs put the cooler out of reach ... You have a stronger stomach than I do!!   :o :-\  ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Mark in Ottawa

Darn! That's terrible! Hard to fault the dog...but seriously! That's a real shame.

Hope next time goes a little easier.

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

Swim Dad

Smart dog.

I fried up a couple of lbs of breakfast sausage in July to freeze for kids breakfast. Set way back on the counter to cool.  20 minutes later it was ALL gone.  She got to sleep outside that night.

One of these days I should smoke a butt for her and just see how much she can eat.  I will get a video.

Make sure you wrap it up in a couple of towels and put a brick or two on top of the cooler.  Though if the dog is going to rip through a screen, it may just know how to nose open a Bradley also.
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)