why complicated adapters for cold smoking?

Started by Nautilus21, September 19, 2012, 05:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nautilus21

Ok Guys so seen various adapters for cold smoking ....

does anyone put a second box (on top of the original and then use this as cold smoker...ie a cardboard box with hole top and bottom and poke some sticks throguh to set some racks in that..?

NePaSmoKer

Nautilus21

sorry, meant to say that the complexitiy of adapters, hose etc and the potential to burn if made from cardboard or wood are pretty high with home made jobbies....so is there any reason why you cant just use a box on top of the bradley for the cold smoking (and potentially hot smoke in the bradley at the same time?)

ie if you put a card box on top..there should be little thermal transfer so low risk of catching light...easy to make (recyclable) ajsut worried that the temp might go up iunside from the heat of the smoke ?? - but this would probably be way less than the heat generated by the smoke generator...

Sorry..all new to me so just trying to see why everyone does it with the adapter confidugration as it is or whether there are anydrawbacks to doing things a little differnt?

muebe

Not everyone does it with an adapter configuration. Some people have used an aluminum mail box or even a cardboard box with a dryer moisture vent hose.

You want real simple?

Take an empty tuna can. Drop some wood pellets, chips, or a Bradley puck. Hit it with a torch till it is burning then blow it out. Then put a cardboard box over the top with a hole in it and you now have the least complicated cold smoker I can think of ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

NePaSmoKer

Since you will be using the smoke generator to smoke the wood pucks there will not be enough heat to ignite a cardboard box sitting atop your vent on the Bradley.

tsquared

I've heard of 2nd hand smoke but not 2nd story smoke!
T2