Started by icerat4, April 04, 2006, 07:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

nsxbill

icerat4 wrote:
No body on this yet?   Where's the reviews.

I have two of the SS smokers and a procom4/Raptor combination which will actually control both at once, and from as much as 200 yards away, and will allow me to shut down automatically if I am not there to do it myself. Don't think I will be buying a new digital model anytime soon.  I'm glad Bradley came up with a larger cabinet, and the digital aspect is nice.  It just isn't anything I will be purchasing.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

owrstrich

im not sure the new smokers have been tested by anybody that presently posts here... that would be an honest comparison in my opinion...

anyway... i think the digi control is a good feature... either way... simple ts or pid... i think the larger capacity will present new issues such as top to bottom and front to back temperature differences and that can most likely be solved by the addition of one of olds fan concepts...

im sure we will get lotts of input when people start filling them with the flesh of the beast...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Kummok

From what I'm seeing so far, they're a nice improvement, especially the increased size. BUT, I'm thinking that so far, it's kinda like when Jeep introduced the Rubicon....nice improvement over previous stock models, but NOTHING like building your own! ;D

Oldman

What I'm curious about is the variable in temp between the bottom and top of the larger unit.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

wildcard

Well, my dad has been asking for a smoker for father's day.  Mebbe I'll give him my tried and proven smoker along with all of my tricks and traps (most of which were gotten from this forum) and "replace" it with a digital one.  Can't give anyone technology I haven't tried myself, can I?   Hehehe.

wildcard

Hey, Bradley Engineers

I just thought of a total geek-out package for the new digital smoker:  Put in an ethernet plug with a mini web server in the unit so you can "log in" to your smoker.  With an additional Wi-Fi link, you can be surfing the internet on your laptop on the porch while monitoring your roast!  Heck, a mini mail server and it can even e-mail you when it's done.  I'd love to help you with this if you're interested.

Chilei

I like the look (and functions) of the new digital smoker, wish you had it a year ago, My older model will have to work for me for a while.

I have to say that I was trying to think of the best way to do some things myself... I do like one aspect of Wildcard... if you had a wifi connection of any sort, even if user had to buy a network adapter, it would add a great deal.  I was mainly wanting to be able to monitor temps and times with my computer for consistency and this would make it possible. 

Additionally, a digital thermometer in the door would be excellent as a substitute for the above.  A digi thermo in the door would also allow a "pager" type monitor.  Why should we stick a reliable thermometer in the top vents when it could be mounted.  This could be sold as an accessory as well.

Kyle

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Chilei on April 08, 2006, 07:28:11 AM
I like the look (and functions) of the new digital smoker, wish you had it a year ago, My older model will have to work for me for a while.

I have to say that I was trying to think of the best way to do some things myself... I do like one aspect of Wildcard... if you had a wifi connection of any sort, even if user had to buy a network adapter, it would add a great deal.  I was mainly wanting to be able to monitor temps and times with my computer for consistency and this would make it possible. 

Additionally, a digital thermometer in the door would be excellent as a substitute for the above.  A digi thermo in the door would also allow a "pager" type monitor.  Why should we stick a reliable thermometer in the top vents when it could be mounted.  This could be sold as an accessory as well.

Kyle

Interesting!

I have a wireless weather station that connects to my computer which monitors and records temperatures. Currently it has 2 vacant channels, which I can hook up additional sensors. I'm going to have to research that. One major problem is that the highest I've seen a weather thermometer record is 125 F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Arcs_n_Sparks

I had thoughts along these lines. I contacted Maverick to see if they would (or could) provide the protocols for the wireless link. They declined. My thought was to build a PID that used the wireless transmission, as well as a receiver for my computer. Maybe I'll revisit....

Arcs_n_Sparks

icerat4

TomG

Binary wise, I think digital rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: arcs_n_sparks on April 08, 2006, 10:02:59 AM
I had thoughts along these lines. I contacted Maverick to see if they would (or could) provide the protocols for the wireless link. They declined. My thought was to build a PID that used the wireless transmission, as well as a receiver for my computer. Maybe I'll revisit....

Arcs_n_Sparks
How difficult do you think it would be to modify a wireless weather sensor that records temps from -23.0F to +122F, to one that could read temps from +40F to +400F. Could I just replace the component that measures temperature in the weather station, with the component that measures temperatures in a digital cooking thermometer.

PS
I'm not talking about big bucks. The weather sensor would cost me $30, and around $19 for the digital thermometer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

The thing i am going to like the best is the temp set it and forget it no more slider bar.Im sure ill have more consistance temp.My old bs will be my baked bean shrimp and all the non meat smoke box.I really dont care about smoke control as thats is a non factor.What everyone says here 4-5-6 hours smoke that all ya need on most everything.Hey kirk will this be comming out the frist weeks of may or at the end.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 09, 2006, 03:04:24 AM
Quote from: arcs_n_sparks on April 08, 2006, 10:02:59 AM

Arcs_n_Sparks
How difficult do you think it would be to modify a wireless weather sensor that records temps from -23.0F to +122F, to one that could read temps from +40F to +400F. Could I just replace the component that measures temperature in the weather station, with the component that measures temperatures in a digital cooking thermometer.

PS
I'm not talking about big bucks. The weather sensor would cost me $30, and around $19 for the digital thermometer.

HS:

Very difficult. Different manufacturers use different thermistors for their temperature probes (their response curves are different). A common technique (to avoid floating point math in a calculation), is to use a look-up table in the code (A/D converter counts to temperature). The thermistor is part of a voltage divider, so you are just measuring and converting voltage to temperature through the look-up table. A different probe will just screw things up.

If your weather station is like mine, the outside temp probe is internal to the wireless transmitter, so hacking that would be difficult. If it has a plug-in probe, then you could try another probe without damaging the unit to see what happens.

Arcs_n_Sparks