beef brisket HELP WANTED

Started by impactbbq, June 18, 2004, 03:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

impactbbq

Ok, so I'm new into smoking.  I NEED HELP.  I've got a great rub recipe for beef brisket that I want to try on the bradley for the first time.  The problem is that I don't know how to cook it.  1.  Do I smoke the brisket for the entire time (about 8-10 hours) or just smoke for a few hours and then slow cook the remaining time without smoke.   Any tips or help would be appreciated.
STEVE

ChefJeff

Steve ,Go on line to Amazon and buy acopy of Smoke & Spice.No one should buy a smoker without  this book(BIBLE)Low and slow use a remote thrmometer and get to about 185-190'F.Try using oak.[;)][8D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

PAsmoker

Steve, when I did my briskets 2 weeks ago, I went with at least 7 hours of smoke.  Your taste may vary on the amount of smoke you like, but I like a good smoke flavor with my brisket.  Just take your time.  I've been using maple here lately to do most of my meats.  I wish I could give you more details, but Mr. Daniels was helping me when I did my last briskets.[^]
The Original PAsmoker

hawsfli

Try brushing the brisket in yellow mustard and sprinkle heavy with your rub.  I personally do not marinae it.  Just pop it in the BS for 5 to 6 hours with mesquite.  Then wrap in a double foil with 1/2 cup of a thin bbq sauce or apple juice added before you close it up.  Then put it in your wife's oven at 250 degrees and brind to 185 degrees if slicing and 195 degrees if chopping. A digital themometor works great for this. We use the 10 to 12 pound flats available at Wally World for $1.28 a pound.  You should get about 45 to 50 percent shrink. For your consideration. Montana Hawsfli [email protected].[8D][8D] Perhaps go to vertualweberbullet.com for more cooking ideas.

banzai

mmmmmmmmm Mr. Daniels!! mmmmmmmmmm....... oh uh sorry um ah.. smoke on!! [:I]

Cold Smoke

Hawsfli or anyone else for that matter, I was planning on trying my hand with my first ever brisket tomorrow- Canada day eh- and the brisket the butcher gave me was quite lean- no fat cap. Would I have to add some fat (bacon strips on top rack?) to make the brisket moist? Or will added apple juice or some sauce do the trick near the end of the cooking time?
The hunk of meat I got was approx 6#- what kind of time frame am I looking for before licking my lips?

Thanks kindly!

Cold Smoke

BigSmoker

IMHO, I would place bacon strips directly on top of the meat when I got ready to cook.  Some with lots of fat(maybe some more on the top rack).  I have the butcher always leave 1/4 inch of fat on the top.  I'm sure you know the secret is low and slow.  If you want you can cook probally 12+hrs at 190 F.  I never go above 250 F when I cook mine.  I like to cure it in the frig with a good rub for a least 4-6hrs.  If you have an electronic polder I would use it. Since it's so lean You may want to use some mop sauce after it's halfway done.  Just remember opening the door is a killer and ads time to the cook. I think the Bradley won't let you down.  I slice mine thin with sweet sauce on the side.  Good Luck!![:)]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Cold Smoke

Thanks BigSmoker, I didn't have a chance to look at your reply so I tossed that brisket in the smoker after lathering it with yellow mustard and a rub from S&S. Didn't have time to marinade. It still took about 9 hrs for it to hit 190 (at 225). Pulled it out last night and and gave it a try with some homemade sauce- very good! A little dry though. Next time I'll ask the butcher to keep that small layer of fat or try that bacon trick- mmmmm...bacon!

Cold Smoke

Eat This

I'm far from an expert (as a matter of fact I only have 1 week to go before I get the bonus check for the bradley) but from what I have researched it seems 225 is a little high for brisket...it is one TOUGH piece of meat but cooked properly will be very tender and juicy and smokey.....just from reading a ton of posts on brisket (both on this site and other places) it seems the better range is "real low" like 180-190 with 200 the max.....I have no proof just offering my research knowledge.....look forward in another week to smoke with you boys and girls