Dry Age

Started by mikeradio, September 24, 2012, 08:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeradio

After seeing Muebe post about dry aging beef, I knew this was something I had to try.

I received the sampler pack and mouse strips I ordered from Umai, ran to Costco and purchased a  AAA Whole Strip Loin weighing in at 7.795Kg at $12.99 a Kg costing $101.26

Triple sealed to make sure it does not leak

It is really hard to get all the air out and have the bag completely sealed against the meat
with the smooth bags

My sealer has a manual mode which really helped,  it wont seal until I press the seal button
so I can start the vacuum and help work the air out

After 1 day in the fridge, you can already see the meat getting darker

muebe

Nice!

After a few days the bag will really get sucked into the meat and become like a second skin. How long you gonna go?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikeradio

From what I have been reading on Umai fourm it sounds like alot of people like to age 40 - 45 days, so I think I will aim for 45 days, but this being my first dry age I might not be able to last that long  ;D ;D

What is your plan muebe

Toker

Hi guys, sorry to put my nose into your story but i have a question for you please. How does it work, i mean as far as i understand the meat moisture escape, but how? Does it pass trough the bag and goes into the fridge floor or there is something else that i don't understand? Thanks and sorry again for my stupid question.

mikeradio

Hey Toker

Umai has designed a special bag that does breath and lets the moisture out, as long as you have a frost free fridge it will remove the moisture out.  It also helps everytime you open the fridge it will remove some moisture.  The Umai bag will become a second skin and protect the meat from bad bacteria as it tenderizing and enhancing the meat flavor

Toker

OK but you don't have any mess in your fridge? The moisture does not drip outside (trough) the bag?

muebe

I think I will go 30 days again. Had good results with 28 days. I got my garage fridge dialed in. I am getting 34F on the off cycle and 38F when it cycles on.

BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

muebe

Quote from: Toker on September 24, 2012, 02:24:47 PM
OK but you don't have any mess in your fridge? The moisture does not drip outside (trough) the bag?

Moisture is released from the bag through evaporation so no mess.

The pores in the bag are microscopic so the water vapor molecules can escape from the bag but the bag is still vacuum sealed.

Toker

AH NOW I UNDERSTOOD ;D ;D THX! Sorry for being slow to understanding.

mikeradio

no the bag does not allow for liquid to pass through it, so it does not drip in the fridge, but it does breath so over many days it will lose about 10% of its weight , and then another 8 to 10 % when you trim the dry hard skin off the meat.

slowpoke

If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

Consooger

I gotta try this. This looks so interesting!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

OU812

Thats gonna be gooood

mikeradio

I just decide to return my beef as it was on the recall list from Costco.
I know it is a very very small chance it would be contaminated, better
to be safe then sorry.  I will post some new picswhen I get the new one
all sealed up

Mike

OU812