Started by mikeradio, September 24, 2012, 08:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keymaster

Sorry to here that!!

muebe

Oh man that sucks!!!
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikeradio

I finally got time to start again with a new piece of BEEF

I ended up leaving the mouse strips that allow you to use a vaccum sealer at work, so
I thought I would try the water bath method to remove the air from the dry age bag.

I have these large bag clips for sealing chip bags which worked perfectly to seal the bag
once I got all the air out

The water bath worked really well, it was very easy for one person to do.
Submerging the bag under water forced all the air out and with the large
bag clip it was easy to seal the end of the bag.  The bag was completely sealled
against the meat.

OU812

Woo Hoo!!

That water pushin the air out trick worked pretty good, gonna have to remember that one.

muebe

You should still try and use the vac sealer to make the seal. The mouse strips are used to help the sealer pull the air out. You can still make a seal without the strips.

I would use the chip clip down further and seal the top part of the bag.

BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikeradio

I thought of doing that as well muebe, a couple of safety seals to make sure it doesn't leak.
The bag kind bunched up at the end, not sure if I can get it straight enough for my sealer.
Next time I will try to keep the bag flat at the end place the bag clip and then seal it a couple
of times and remove the bag clip. 

SiFumar

So very nice!  Will be following this also!

Quarlow

Oh Mike that sucks. If anyone hasn't heard we have had a meat processing plant in Alberta which supplys a large portion of the meat in Canada shut down for tainted meat troubles. Huge recall on meat of all kinds. I haven't even bought any beef since this started. Just been going off what was in the freezer.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mikeradio

Here's 25 days of dry aging.  I am going to try and last to 40 days  ;D ;D

I also found a sweet deal on this small commercial fridge $300 like new.
It will be my dedicated dry age fridge.

Quarlow

Meat is looking good Mike. That is a nice fridge ya got there.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

bundy

This is interesting, just found this post. I buy my sirloin and prime rib they are cryvaced and it says on the label when the kill date was, I then leave in frig for a total of 3-4 weeks, makes all the difference in the world, tender meat!

muebe

Quote from: bundy on November 05, 2012, 05:37:29 PM
This is interesting, just found this post. I buy my sirloin and prime rib they are cryvaced and it says on the label when the kill date was, I then leave in frig for a total of 3-4 weeks, makes all the difference in the world, tender meat!

Bundy that is known as wet aging. These bags are special. They allow the moisture to escape so they are actually dry aging in the bag.

bundy

O.K I understand the Wet-Dry aging thing, question is there a difference in the end result?

muebe

Quarlow

Very interesting, however look down at the bottom of the page and see what it says under the pic of the snowman. Scary stuff.  :o

OBS
BBQ