Dry Age

Started by mikeradio, September 24, 2012, 08:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeradio

Finally I could wait no longer, Sunday was 37 days it is time to cut some steaks

It doesnt look like the bag is stuck to the meat, but when you open it, you really have
to peel the bag off.  The meat gets a real waxy feel and is very firm.

I cut the whole loin into nice 1.5" steaks, then trimed each one and vacumed sealed them

I cooked 2 steaks for Sunday dinner and all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW, the flavor of the meat is
incredible, it is really worth the extra time and effort  to dry age.  I was worried my wife would not like the steaks
any werid smells or tastes and she wont eat it.  She was blown away by the taste, she loved it.

I figured I would really enjoy dry aged beef so about a week ago I started another one, but this time
I am trying the Boneless Rib, I think I am addicted

SiFumar

OU812

Quarlow

Ok Mike, I trust you completely, but I would still need convincing about this. It may be the look on the outside but it goes against everything visual I know about what meat should look like. I mean I spent 6 years on a cattle ranch and I beautiful red steak thrown on the grill.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

muebe

They look great Mike!

See I told ya ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikeradio

Well my Rib finally hit 43 days on Sunday, so it was time to cut and trim some steaks.

I did cook a couple for super and tried out my Sous Vide set up, I had more pictures of the cooking
but they accidently got deleted.  I will post more next time.  My wife was very hesitant to try
the Sous Vide, but after the steaks were cook and grilled on the BBQ she is hooked on Sous Vide.

STLstyle

That sounds like it worked out great.  I'd love to see some money shots off the grill...

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

SiFumar

I bet those steaks tasted as good as they look!

muebe

Mike do you use a water circulator with your sous vide setup?

I have been looking to get a immersion circulator for a old crock pot I have.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Keymaster

Silvergrizz

Quote from: mikeradio on December 27, 2012, 04:01:06 PM
Well my Rib finally hit 43 days on Sunday, so it was time to cut and trim some steaks.

I did cook a couple for super and tried out my Sous Vide set up, I had more pictures of the cooking
but they accidently got deleted.  I will post more next time.  My wife was very hesitant to try
the Sous Vide, but after the steaks were cook and grilled on the BBQ she is hooked on Sous Vide.

Mikeradio, the dry aging sounds great, will have to give that a try, but I am confused by your last statement. Did you sous vide the steak and then cook on the BBQ?
I messed up the quote thing somehow
Grizz

mikeradio

No there is no circulator with this system, I give the water a stir periodically , it works very well and keeps a constant temp.

Yes I Sous Vide the steaks from 1 to 4 hrs then take them out and give a quick grill on the BBQ, just to give them that BBQ flavor and look.  I think we are doing steaks again on Sunday, so I hope to take more pics of the whole process.

devo

Quote from: mikeradio on December 29, 2012, 09:31:38 AM
No there is no circulator with this system, I give the water a stir periodically , it works very well and keeps a constant temp.

Yes I Sous Vide the steaks from 1 to 4 hrs then take them out and give a quick grill on the BBQ, just to give them that BBQ flavor and look.  I think we are doing steaks again on Sunday, so I hope to take more pics of the whole process.

So when your doing the Sous Vide on steaks do you add any seasonings to the bag?

Drac

Oh I've got to try that.  Did you get the pack from http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-drybag-steak-in-house.php ?

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

mikeradio

Yes you add all your seasonings to the steak before you vacumm seal them.  You can add garlic cloves, sprigs of rosemarry, the steak cooks in its own jucies and spices, it adds alot of flavor.

Yes that is a link to the Dry age bag site.