Need a little help.

Started by ihavethetools, September 24, 2012, 04:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ihavethetools

Hi all, got a quick couple questions. 1) Those of you that have added a second 500w element, whats the trick to get it into the holes in the heat shield ?  I don't want to bend it to the point of breaking it. 2) Where will be the best place to locate the heat probe from my PID in the smoker ?  I want to thank a few on this forum that have answered some of my PM's to them.  Great bunch of friendly and informative folks here.  Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Toker

Check this out. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?572-Additional-Heating-Element-Modification  Your probe below the lowest rack you are cooking at and trough the door,

rexster

In my case, I broke the flimsy spot welds on the heat shield when I was putting the second element in. What I did was drill out two holes close to where the spot welds were and used some sheet metal screws to reattach the end plate.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

mikecorn.1

I have the two probe auber and keep the free hanging probe closest to the bottom most rack without having anything drip on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Hi ihavethetools;

Welcome to the forum.

Fitting the element into the holes is a little tricky. I worked mine in by carefully bending the side of the reflector and easing the element in at the points of least resistance. Some have found making the holes slightly bigger works well, but don't make them too big.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ihavethetools

Thanks guys. Try as i may, one of the side came off.  I drilled 2   1/8" holes into each side and used rivets to hold them together. Worked great. Going to do my first smoke this weekend, family WANTS ribs !!!  Wish me luck !!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: ihavethetools on September 27, 2012, 05:13:42 PM
Thanks guys. Try as i may, one of the side came off.  I drilled 2   1/8" holes into each side and used rivets to hold them together. Worked great. Going to do my first smoke this weekend, family WANTS ribs !!!  Wish me luck !!
GOOD LUCK!  ;D
Mike