sausage recipe

Started by impactbbq, June 18, 2004, 03:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

impactbbq

I LOVE smoked sausage but am tired of buying the same ol crap at the store.  Does anyone have a good recipe for some German style sausage or just some darn good sausage period.  THANKS
STEVE

Regforte

Steve,

I've got lots of recipes I can post but please tell me what your idea of German style sausage is.

Regards,
RegForte

ChefJeff

Steve try buying sausage and smoking it.Refer to S&S.[:D][8D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Bassman

Steve,
I make fresh sausage a couple times a year,with venison or beef and pork.This thread is more of a polish kielbsa
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=98&whichpage=1I use a 50/50 mixture ( we like it lean)and spices. I have not smoked fresh sausage YET. but IMO, all you have to do is poke holes in the casings (like with a fork) and smoke until internal temp is 152F.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

BrentK

Steve,

I have not tried smoking sausage yet but...the book "Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas has a bunch of recipes in it. That might be worth a read for you.

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

snapper39

I have thought about smoking sausages alot, but this curing and prague powder 1 and 2 kinda scare me a bit. I have the Kudas book but am still a little afraid. As soon as someone else does it and doesn't poison the whole family I'll be glad to try their recipe.[:I]

Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

whitetailfan

Snap,
If you want to try someone's recipe, I would go for Bassman's sausage, it looks awesome in the pics.

If you concerned about getting the wrong prague powder or something, just get yourself a pre-made sausage mix package.  We use pre-mixed garlic sausage mix all the time and is has a pre-mixed cure/binder.  You can't go wrong here if this is your first shot at sausage.

Once you have a couple batches under your belt, you might want to try one made from individual ingredients ie a recipe.  The nice part about "great sausage recipes and meat curing" is that he breaks down the recipes to 25 or 10 lb batches.  I'm thinking you could fit 10 pounds pretty easy in the BS because coils are around a pound and I fit three to a rack when I did some.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.