smoked and canned oysters

Started by tsquared, March 05, 2006, 02:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

This post from SeaBjorn got me thinking.
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Here's my method for smoked oysters:

About 6 dozen 4 to 6 inch oysters in the shell
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 tspn onion powder
1 tspn garlic powder
1/2 tspn black pepper
1 tspn Tabasco
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups oyster juice

1) Steam the oyster, let cool, and shuck into a large bowl saving as much of the oyster juice as possible.
2) Wash each oyster in cool water, strain the oyster juice to remove all shells, reserve 2 cups of the juice. Combine all the ingredients except the oysters and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the oysters, stir gently, brine in a cool place for 1 hour.
3) Remove the oysters from the brine and place on smoking racks (I spray the racks with pan spray to keep the oysters from sticking). Refrigerate overnight.
4) Smoke at appx 150F for about 2 hours or until the edges begin to turn brown and begin to curl.
5)At this point you can vacuum seal the oysters and freeze, or pack into jars, add some evoo and a clove of garlic if desired and process in a pressure canner at 12 pounds pressure for an hour.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Here's my thought--I love the idea of canning smoked oysters but I am a lazy so and so and cheap as well. Here in Victoria, shucked oysters are often on sale and cheaper than the ones in the shell. To use the shucked variety for canning I thought you could brine them, smoke them at a higher temperature than in Bjorn's recipe, and then can them. As I write this, I realized that canning them would cook them anyway, so you could use Bjorn's temp for smoking and still end up with a cooked product. Thoughts? (Just writing about this has got me hungry for a plate of smoked oysters and a Guinness to go along with it--and it's only 9:30 am!
T2

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>

Just writing about this has got me hungry for a plate of smoked oysters and a Guinness to go along with it--and it's only 9:30 am!
T2

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Tom, forget the Guinness, run on over to Swans and pick yourself up some Oatmeal Stout.

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Thunder Fish

I have had good sucess with those oyster's in a tub.I blanch mine for 2-3 minutes than put the spices/brine to them put them on the racks,spray with olive oil, and smoke for about 1 1/2-2 hours with pecan.
Another treat, seeing your smoking seafood any way ,is to smoke a dozen or so scallops.I marinade mine over night with a load of garlic and maple syrup,just like smoked pcs of candy!just put them in the smoker with the oysters [:p]

tsquared

See, now there you go, both of you. I'm just about to head off to bed and you to go on about delicious stout and smoked seafood. I guess I'll just dream for now.[|)]
T2