Question for the Pros

Started by KyNola, October 08, 2012, 07:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

From time to time I cure salmon to make gravlax.  My question is this; if I make 2 whole filets into gravlax obviously I will not consume all of that at one time(although I would like to try ;)) can you vac seal and freeze it without a problem?  And if you can, is it better to freeze it prior to slicing or slice it and then freeze?

Thank you for your expertise.

Slamdunk

I'm no expert but I vac seal it and freeze it and then slice when I have to. If you can scout out some of the thin gold colored card board before you vac seal. It will hold the shape a lot better and make it easier to slice.

Smokeville

Hi KyNola!

You can vac seal and freeze it either way with great results. My wife and I sell it sliced in 150gram packages only because people like to buy it that way.

These photos are not the best (from my cell) and after the pack has been out of the freezer you can see the frost condensing. The green stuff is a dill sprig for decoration.

My best advice would be to freeze whole in the portion size you want leaving the skin on, then slice when you want to eat it. It is less work that way -- otherwise you have to slice it all at once and that takes time.

Regards, Rich

Also, it is not unusual for the FoodSaver to leave some tiny air bubbles when doing gravlax. The texture seems to block some of the channels in the bag. Doesn't hurt the end product though.

KyNola

Quote from: Slamdunk on October 08, 2012, 09:05:11 AM
I'm no expert but I vac seal it and freeze it and then slice when I have to. If you can scout out some of the thin gold colored card board before you vac seal. It will hold the shape a lot better and make it easier to slice.

Thanks.  I happen to have about 150 of those presentation boards in 2 different sizes.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Unidos

Quote from: KyNola on October 08, 2012, 10:39:17 AM
Quote from: Slamdunk on October 08, 2012, 09:05:11 AM

Thanks.  I happen to have about 150 of those presentation boards in 2 different sizes.

Who sells these presentation boards?
Bradley Digital 4Rack

I Make my own Beer, Butter & Cheese.....

devo

Ya I would be interested in the food grade thin gold colored card board ones myself. Would make vac packing bacon much easier.

Habanero Smoker

You can purchase Traycompact Boards from A. Mindle & Associates. They deal with commercial companies but will accommodate small orders. The cards are gold on one side and silver on the other. When I ordered mind, I had a choice of two sizes, but after communicating with them I learned that once I got the boards I can cut them to any size I wanted.

It is best to send an email to  [email protected] and let them know what you need, and they will send you an email whether or not they can accommodate you, and if so they will send a quote.

Below is their website address:

A. Mindle & Associates

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

What Habs said!  That's where I got mine.  They are very accommodating.  They did mine custom cut to the measurements I asked for to fit a quart bag and a gallon bag used for vac sealing.

devo

Unidos

Bradley Digital 4Rack

I Make my own Beer, Butter & Cheese.....

iceman

They are very good folks to work with.
They sent me the gold/black boards I wanted to fit the 10X12 bags I use for doing gift packs of BBB for friends.

KyNola