Ham the cold smoke project 3 day smoke

Started by Brewoz, October 09, 2012, 02:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewoz

Picked up a fresh pork leg at my local slaughter house.

skinned it, brine it for 7 days (not 10 days as I posted earlier) and hung it in the refer for 24 hrs. then into the smoker

This is after day 2 in the refer

Out of the smoker day 3. I let it hang in refer for  2 days

I cut it in half and cook it @ 225* with IT 154*. This ham was fantastic. So much smoke flavor and moist juicy. It is amazing how good it tasted.
3 day smoke 3-4 hrs a day max smoking temp 90*

Beer Guy At Snow Creek

Habanero Smoker

Nice looking ham. This is similar to how I make Triple Smoked Bacon.

After applying the smoke, did you leave the ham in the smoker at 90°F or less until the following smoke period?

Have you smoked a ham using either of the below methods to compare the taste? I just like to get an idea if the is a significant difference in taste and texture.
Hamzilla
Smoked Cured Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Great looking ham ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Brewoz

Habanero, After doing a variation of your triple smoked bacon I had to try a ham.
I did use your Smoked Cured Ham recipe (variation).
Spices: coriander
           Black pepper
           garlic
           Juniper berry
Brine 7 days then rinsed (not 10 as I posted earlier)
stabilized 24 hr in refer
Day 1: smoked 3-4 hrs, 6hrs total in smoker then place back in refer
Day 2: smoked 3-4 hrs, 6 hrs                                       Back in refer
Day 3: smoked 3-4 hrs, 6 hrs                                       Back in refer
Left it in refer for 2 days. the ham had develop a dry tough surface.

I cook half of it in the oven @ 225* until it reach 154*. During dinner everyone said it was fantastic and asked what I did to make it so juicy. I think it's because I only cooked it once.

I have smoked hams in the past with good success, But this beats them hands down.

The bottom picture, the ham is still raw.

Keith

Beer Guy At Snow Creek

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the additional information. Weather permitting, I may try this with my next ham. The tough surface is common when I smoke hams, but I find that the surface softens back up while it is cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

slowpoke

If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Brewoz on October 10, 2012, 09:52:20 AM
Habanero, After doing a variation of your triple smoked bacon I had to try a ham.
I did use your Smoked Cured Ham recipe (variation).
Spices: coriander
           Black pepper
           garlic
           Juniper berry
Brine 10 days then rinsed
stabilized 24 hr in refer
Day 1: smoked 3-4 hrs, 6hrs total in smoker then place back in refer
Day 2: smoked 3-4 hrs, 6 hrs                                       Back in refer
Day 3: smoked 3-4 hrs, 6 hrs                                       Back in refer
Left it in refer for 2 days. the ham had develop a dry tough surface.

I cook half of it in the oven @ 225* until it reach 154*. During dinner everyone said it was fantastic and asked what I did to make it so juicy. I think it's because I only cooked it once.

I have smoked hams in the past with good success, But this beats them hands down.

The bottom picture, the ham is still raw.

Keith

During the smoking your recipe says that it gets smoke for 3-4 hrs., but 6 hrs. total in the smoker. Do you just have it hanging in the smoker for the other 2-3 hrs?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Brewoz

During the smoking your recipe says that it gets smoke for 3-4 hrs., but 6 hrs. total in the smoker. Do you just have it hanging in the smoker for the other 2-3 hrs?
[/quote]

Yea after 3-4 hrs of smoke it rested in the smoker for 2-3 hrs
Beer Guy At Snow Creek