Gonna be a busy day!

Started by Bear1968, October 11, 2012, 10:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear1968

With Fall here i have been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Between Mushrooms, Deer, Canning and Smoking .... Oh yeah and that nasty four letter word that starts with a W and ends with a K  :o
I picked up some Salmon, skin on yesterday so I thought I would play around a bit.  ;)
On the left is Lox, Skinned the Fillet and packed it with salt. In the Middle is a recipe I found for Gravlox, equal parts salt and sugar with fresh chopped dill. On the right is Old Faithful, Brown Sugar, Salt and Garlic which I will be using in "Project X" as an ingredient.
If the one on the Left looks a bit smaller, part of it fell off the fillet and landed in my skillet ...no actually I trimmed it to be more of an even thickness but what I trimmed off did go in the skillet  :D

Sorry about the fog in the pic ... my camera slept in the truck last night.

So I figured since I am gonna be home all day I would just try to knock out a few more projects that need done. So I threw two Gallons of Inferno Peppers in the Bradley to cold smoke before canning.

I threw 2 pounds of Almonds in a brine to be smoked tomorrow.

...and Finally cleaning, blanching and freezing more Sheapshead Mushrooms ... or as some know them "Hen of the Woods"

In the middle of all this a friend who owns a white tailed deer farm stopped in and gave me 3 venison hinds. They looked fantastic.  Into the freezer they went and I ordered some ham Kits from Lem's that project will be started next week some time.

I am pretty pumped about the fish though ... can not wait to see how it comes out, well the Lox and Gravlox that is. I have made truckloads of "Old Faithful"
UBC Local 268

Bear1968

Shrooms all taken care of, Lox and old faithful are in the Bradley getting a pedicure ... errrr I mean pedicle pellicle.  :o

I took a sneak taste of the Lox before it went to gain the pellicle and it was GREAT!

Got all of my BBQ Smoked Hot Peppers canned .... I had to take the Pic to include my New Cold Smoker Attachment .... You can see the fan in the back blowing on the Fish  ;)

Decided to do the almonds as well tonight ... Ignore the case that they are in  :P

I am getting ready to get the Cold Smoke going on the Lox, Hot Smoke Old Faithful for "Project X" and the Gravlax will be ready to rinse in about 4 hours. Yup this is a long day  ;)

*Edit to correct a spelling error that Quarlow felt compelled to bring to my attention.*
UBC Local 268

Keymaster

Nice Job bear, Thats a lot of work nd looks like youve been busy. How do you use your Mushrooms? I like Mushrooms but have really only had the typical mushrooms with Portabellas being the fanciest, I guess what i'm trying to say I have not tried wild mushrooms.

Quarlow

All looks good Bear. Nice work. And I think the word you want is (pellicle), sorry I couldn't help correcting ya.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Bear1968

Quote from: Keymaster on October 11, 2012, 05:25:08 PM
Nice Job bear, Thats a lot of work nd looks like youve been busy. How do you use your Mushrooms? I like Mushrooms but have really only had the typical mushrooms with Portabellas being the fanciest, I guess what i'm trying to say I have not tried wild mushrooms.

Gotta be Honest ... My favorite way is in a Home made Pasta Sauce with loose, Sweet Italian Sausage but They are GREAT Deep Fried!  ;)

Many of my friends use them frying with Onions and serving with Steak or other meats ... not my style... Some use in Soups .... They are Great though ... best part is that it something Wild.  :)
...Anything Store Bought can NOT compare to wild when it comes to Shrooms!  ;)
UBC Local 268

Bear1968

Quote from: Quarlow on October 11, 2012, 05:44:19 PM
All looks good Bear. Nice work. And I think the word you want is (pellicle), sorry I couldn't help correcting ya.

Thanks!  ;D
UBC Local 268

Bear1968

OK ... I just realized this ... maybe you guys already knew it but I will post a warning.

DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not get to run my almonds the way I usually do .... and even though they had ENOUGH smoke, when I pulled them and set them on top of my Bradley and seen the smoke coming through ... I left them there a few hours while my Bradley puffed away in Cold Mode".

....... Even cold smoking ya get the friggen moisture that follows the smoke ....... worried about my nuts when they looked a bit glossy .... Thank God for Dehydrators ... as in the 70s Blow dryers were a  life saver ... so are the dehydrators :P
UBC Local 268

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Bear1968 on October 11, 2012, 10:10:07 PM
OK ... I just realized this ... maybe you guys already knew it but I will post a warning.

DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not get to run my almonds the way I usually do .... and even though they had ENOUGH smoke, when I pulled them and set them on top of my Bradley and seen the smoke coming through ... I left them there a few hours while my Bradley puffed away in Cold Mode".

....... Even cold smoking ya get the friggen moisture that follows the smoke ....... worried about my nuts when they looked a bit glossy .... Thank God for Dehydrators ... as in the 70s Blow dryers were a  life saver ... so are the dehydrators :P
I think any real man would be worried about his nuts looking a bit glossy ;D :o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

So what did you think of the Lox Bear?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Bear1968

I tried them both Pre-Smoke and liked them just like that.  :) I still have the Gravlox to smoke today. I pulled it from it's rub last night about 2:30 Am rinsed it and put it back in the fridge.
Can not wait to get the Lox sliced and try er on a Bagel. Just need to get the Gravlox smoking and I can run to the store for bagels and the rest of my fixings. ;)
UBC Local 268

Bear1968

Well I decided NOT to smoke the Gravlox. The Lox Turned out GREAT and I LOVE the Gravlox without being smoked  :)

I used Muebe's method for the Lox and This Method for the Gravlox.

I am very happy with the results of both!
UBC Local 268

muebe

Looks great Bear!

I love the smoke flavor on my Lox. I tried some today and it is getting better.... More mellow.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)