Black Rain

Started by zueth, October 13, 2012, 11:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

Every time I smoke up a load of salmon, 8 racks in my 4 rack digital Bradley I get black rain.  i have the vent full open and make sure I clean out the top before and after each smoke. There is so much of it, that it forms a puddle below the front door.  I am assuming this is because of all the moisture in the fish.  Anything I can do to help with this?

Keymaster

I get the same thing . It seems if I take the time to form a really good pellicle it doesn' leak from the door as much . I fold up a paper towel and put it under each foot on the front of the smoker cause the wife has a tizzy if the Black rain gets on the deck :)

Salmonsmoker

Zueth,

A couple of things..... Do you let a pellicle form on the surface before smoking? If not, this will help to get rid of some of the moisture pre-smoke.
The bigger the load = the more moisture
My black rain drips down from around the top vent. Hot moist air meets cooler ambient air and that's where the moisture condenses. The cooler the ambient temp., the more condensation I get right at the vent. Conversely, the warmer the ambient temp. the less there is because the moisture isn't forced out of the exhaust by cold air.
I took a throw-away aluminum pie plate, attached 3 wires spaced around the rim and hooked them through the top vent leaving an inch or so between the pie plate and the inner top of the smoker cabinet. It catches the black rain, but doesn't impede the flow of smoke and moisture out of the cabinet.
Hope this helps.
Ss
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

zueth

Yes I let the fish air dry for about 3-4 hours. I don't think it affects the flavor just affects the look of the fish.

Jim O

I put a foil pie plate on top of an inverted rack on the top shelf under the wide open vent.

Solved the problem for me !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

zueth

I was using all 8 racks. Don't have a free rack. If I did I could try that.

BAM1

I have my smoker vented out a garage window with an inline 80 cfm fan and never have seen "black rain".  I smoke a lot of Salmon and make jerky and sausage.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

zueth

Mine is outside, can you explain the fan.

Jim O

Hey Bam-  Doesn't the fan suck the heat out the vent ?

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

BAM1

I have a PID and 900w element.  Even when I smoke cheese with just the smoke tower on I have to put a pan of ice in so I don't think I'm losing much heat.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: zueth on October 13, 2012, 01:14:03 PM
I was using all 8 racks. Don't have a free rack. If I did I could try that.

Zueth, when I smoke fish I have a full smoker like you. That's why I suspended the pie plate. When I do the rack shift- top to bottom, front to back thing I don't have to worry about disturbing the rain catcher.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.