First Time user

Started by Bud, June 18, 2004, 05:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud

<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3">
Used my new Bradley for the first time yesterday and I'm convinced. Started out years ago with a Brinkman, converted it to electric. That was alittle better. Then moved up to a New Braunfels "Bandrea" and have used it for a few years. Really liked it but it was too much work, hard to regulate the heat,and way to much trouble to clean up afterwards. The Bradley was simple to use, clean up easy, and the results were outstanding. Ordered some of the aluminum pucks from Chez Bubba last week after reading about them here. Still waiting for them to arrive. Made the recipe for pork side spareribs. They were great but I didn't like the pre-cooking in the oven part. Do you guys do that when you fix rib? One other question from a first time user. Seemed like it took along time to preheat and get it up to cooking temp.Also is it harder to heat when it's full of meat? I have enjoyed reading this forum so far and have learned alot from you guys already.These forum things are new to me so I hope I'm doing it right.Going to go eat some leftovers now and will check back later.   Bud

Fuzzybear

Welcome Bud!!!!

I've never used the oven anywhere during my smoking process....I figure if I have to double cook, it's to much work....but there are others who have methods to their madness and swear by it for particular meats.  

Chez will smoke and oven cook his birds - more for a crunchy skin, others will smoke for the flavor and then oven cook to finish it off faster...

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

ChefJeff

[:p][:p]Smoke it low and slow-and chow down.Do Not Peek!That will greatly increase your cooking time.Open once 1/2 way add water if needed and thats it.Oh yeah. patience.[:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />Chez will smoke and oven cook his birds - more for a crunchy skin, others will smoke for the flavor and then oven cook to finish it off faster...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Fuzz, Not to get into a pissin contest because I may have posted some errant information once under the calming effects of one-too-many barley waters,[B)] but...

The only bird I think I've recommended be smoked (cold), then finished in another fashion is duck (I suppose goose would apply too but I've never tried it.)...and that was pan fried, not oven.

Yes, in a pinch, when 20 people are milling about your living room waiting, throw it in the oven for 20 minutes at 350. Better that than making them wait for another hour & a half.[;)]

Bud, It's basic physics. The more 50F meat mass you cram into the same space heated to 200F, the longer it will take to bring the meat mass to desired temp. For example, if I do one butt (7#) it will take about 8 hours to get to 190F. If I do four, it will take about 12 hours.

Hope that helps & welcome to the forum,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Chez:  
Thanks for the clarification, I could have been affected by the juniper berries[;)] when I made my post too...I don't remember man!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

BrentK

Welcome Bud,

I'm new to the BS as well.  I did spare ribs the other night....I did not pre-cook them either.  I did take Chez's idea of placing bacon on the top rack though. They turned out great.[:)]  I smoked them for 3 hours and finished them for another hour all at 220F.  I let the smoker pre-heat for about 45 minutes.  I also make sure my meat is at room temp before I put it in the smoker or on the grill.  Marinated them in Jack Daniels, Molasses,Cayenne,Garlic,salt & H20.

Have a GREAT weekend.

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

Bud

Thanks for the info. I've never pre-cooked before this time either. Just thought that I would follow the Bradley recipe for the first time. Always looking for a way to improve. The recipe also called to open and baste with the sauce, so Chez & ChefJeff I'm sure that effected the temp. Do you use the Bradley recipes[?]

BrentK

Yes, for the couple of things I've smoked.  I've also made some jerky on it.  Ther are ALOT of good recipes in the books as well.  I went on-line and bought Smoke & Spice, Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces, Steven Raichlen Barbecue Bible AND Where There's Smoke There's Flavor...got them all used on Amozon for I think under $30.  They be a great addition to the library.

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bud</i>
<br />so Chez & ChefJeff I'm sure that effected the temp. Do you use the Bradley recipes[?]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yes indeed it did. Plan to add 30-45 minutes of total cook time for every time you open the door. All of a sudden basting doesn't sound so great, huh?

I've "used" the Bradley recipes to the extent of reading them & comparing to others (notably Smoke & Spice). All the books Brent mentioned I own and have gotten my money's worth of info out of, but hands down Smoke & Spice is the one you should buy first.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?