What Have I DONE

Started by JZ, October 16, 2012, 04:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Took my bird out of the brine, dried it off then applied some Jan's lovin.  ;D
]

After 1 hr 20 min in the Bradley with pecan rolling it went into the TBE. It is now at 135 IT and the skin peeled back into a full retreat.

]

I am guessing this thing is not going to be as juicy as it should be without the skin holding the juices in. This is my first TBE bird and I am thinking I have done something wrong. Any guesses? ??? ???

devo

Never seen the skin crack like that but it will crack so don't worry. That bird will be juicy no worries there. Here you can see how a turkey I did in mine cracked but that sucker was very juicy

JZ

Thanks Devo. Your bird has some small cracking ..... mine is in full retreat. :o 

I think it might be caused by the long brine time (24 hrs). In any case I will take the bird off when the IT reaches 170 and let it rest for about 15 minutes before we chow down.

Keymaster

I usually rub my chicken skin down with olive oil before the seasoning. I don't remember my skin cracking like that until I mutilated it trying to get it out of that Bloody basket thingy ;)

mikecorn.1

Maybe you had a small hairline rip in the skin and when the heat got to it, it set it off. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

JZ

Apparently that skin peeling back did not matter ..... because this bird was friggin deeeeelllllllllllicious and juicy.

]

I will be doing this again very soon ..... but first we have to finish eating this one. ;D ;D ;D

Next time I will brine for less time, maybe 12 hrs, then smoke for 1 hr 40 min at 250 instead of 200 then into the TBE for a shorter finish. 

WOW what a combo ......  Bradley and TBE.  8) ;D ;D

devo

JZ

QuoteTold Ya  ;)

Never doubted you for a second, my friend. :)

I am sitting at the computer drinking a beer and I can still taste that bird.     Life is good. 8)

OU812

I rub the bird down with peanut oil before the rub and smoke 2 hr at 250 F then finish in TBE,,,,,,,,,,,,get verry little crackin of the skin

I know that bird of yours had to be soooo good,,,,sure looks gooood

JZ

Do you brine first or just oil and rub?

I like that stand you have with the tray under it. I bet those drippings would make the best gravy mmmmmmmmmmm, with drool (a Homer Simpson moment). ;D ;D

Bear1968

That sure does look good. When I looked at the pic of the skin retreat, all I could think of is reaching down in and pulling that skin to munch on  ;)
UBC Local 268

OU812

Quote from: JZ on October 16, 2012, 06:40:57 PM
Do you brine first or just oil and rub?

I like that stand you have with the tray under it. I bet those drippings would make the best gravy mmmmmmmmmmm, with drool (a Homer Simpson moment). ;D ;D

Most of the time I dont brine but I do inject quite often

I like to take the rub Im usein and mix it with butter and inject away, if the rub wont go through the needle grind it into a powder

And YES them drippings make for some killer gravy (Homer moment)