Sausage Hanger

Started by Tenpoint5, October 18, 2012, 04:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Like everyone else I have been trying to find a way to raise my sausage up higher inside of the cabinet of my Bradley, especially when doing summer sausage. Today I found the perfect product to actually accomplish this for me. I found it at Gander Mountain.

The backing of the sausage hanger package looks like this if your going to Gander Mountain.

Now what you would really like to find is a 5mm 80 pitch 3 1/2 inch long bolt or screw. However I don't live in the land of the metric crap. So I had to improvise. I bought a 6-32 1 foot rod, 3 nuts and 2 washers. The threaded rod fits right down inside the threaded screw hole that the screw from the vent goes into.

Here is the hanger sitting on the table. The string is from the test fitting.

Now what you is gonna want to do is put the hanger in a vice and beat them outside hangers over and slightly twist them with a hammer. DO NOT try and bend them by hand!! You WILL snap the weld where the hook attaches to the frame. Your Welcome, I learned that lesson for you! It should look something like this when you is done.

After you remove the screw out of your vent. Stick the threaded rod down in the hole thread up the nuts and your sausage hanger should be mounted. Adjust all the nuts to snug the hanger up to the top of the cabinet but still have enough play to adjust the vent. If for some reason you ever want to do that. The cool part about having it just snug, is now the sausage hanger will be a carousel. You can just reach in and rotate it a 1/4 turn every hour or so. Here it is mounted in my BDS6

A different angle. Looking up from the bottom.

Now I have it mounted in my 6 rack and i rarely use the top position. However I did want to see the clearance from the top rack if it was installed and being used. It looks like there will be about 2 inches of clearance from the bottom of the hooks and the bottom of the rack, maybe a little more.

Thanks for looking. Think I might get me another one of these and install it in my BDS4. By the way if you want to get your very own Sausage Hanger. You can find yourself one at this link. Heck they even have free shipping so it says!!

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Smoke-Hollow-Universal-Sausage-Hanger&i=438239

1/20
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

tskeeter

10.5, I'm a bit obtuse.  Why did you bend the hooks attached to the outer ring?  Too close to the side walls of the smoker?  Would turning the hooks so the the hook part is to the inside of the ring give enough clearance, or is there a reason why you chose to bend them over?

10.5 Mobile

Quote from: tskeeter on October 18, 2012, 05:13:05 PM
10.5, I'm a bit obtuse.  Why did you bend the hooks attached to the outer ring?  Too close to the side walls of the smoker?  Would turning the hooks so the the hook part is to the inside of the ring give enough clearance, or is there a reason why you chose to bend them over?
Yes I bent the hooks in for clearance from the sidewalls and the door

OU812

SWEET!!

Hey there buddy,,,,,,,,,,,could ya get some close ups of the center,,,,,,,I gots me an idea  8)

drunknimortal

Thats a good idea, to bad I already bought a bigger smoker.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on October 18, 2012, 05:32:03 PM
SWEET!!

Hey there buddy,,,,,,,,,,,could ya get some close ups of the center,,,,,,,I gots me an idea  8)
Let me see what I can come up with

1/20

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Tenpoint5

This is the best I could come up with using a flashlight and my phone. The washer on the bottom is mine the other ones are welded on the hanger at the factory.

So what's cha hatching in your brain?

1/20

Keymaster

Good idea chris !! I like it :)

KyNola

That's pretty spiffy Chris.  I saw one of those hangers at Gander Mountain the other day.

5/20 GODGG

NePaSmoKer

Well

Least you post pics instead of   

OU812

Chris; Im thinkin octagon,,,,,,,,,,,,,allready got some thinkin down on paper  ;D

squirtthecat

Quote from: OU812 on October 18, 2012, 06:53:59 PM
Chris; Im thinkin octagon,,,,,,,,,,,,,allready got some thinkin down on paper  ;D

I'm thinking a vertical rotisserie motor to hang that from.

Cue the "Merry Go Round" carney music...

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 18, 2012, 06:58:31 PM

The thought has crossed my mind!! Then you wouldn't need to open the door at all

1/20

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 18, 2012, 06:58:31 PM

I was thinkin a rod on the shaft outside the smoker,,,,,you could spin the whole thing without opening the door