new DIGITAL smoker

Started by CLAREGO, April 06, 2006, 11:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

ok questions....questions....questions. anybody have any news on the new digital smokers??? can you just buy the smoke generator? and last is it worth it to change any better(Temp reading ?, timer? ) ??? ???

iceman

From what I've been told they will not be offering the generator seperatly. Cheez knows all about it. I would e-mail him or just wait and he might answer on this thread. He is going to try one out as soon as it arrives and let us know. Icerat is also getting one of the first ones and will be posting his opinion. I'm very curious to see what happens myself. ???

icerat4

Yup i am number 2 on the chez list ;D.I cant wait  ;) its christmas in MAY... I will help here any way i can.Til then the old bs is doing just great. ;D

Habanero Smoker

Kirk already answered this. He stated that the electrical hook up is different in the digital generators, so they can not be used in the original model.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CLAREGO

that sucks >:(>:(... well if im going to upgrade i think the six rack will do it. any body selling there raptors you have a buyer

Curtis Jackson

I just downloaded the manual for the new digital smoker, and frankly I am disappointed.

Can you program in several stages with different temps, a la the famous Bradley salmon recipe? No.

Can you say "cook at 200F until the meat temp reaches 180F"? No -- there is no input for a meat thermometer. Which also means there is no possibility for a mode like other third-party temperature controllers have that goes even further -- with the one I have you can say, "cook at 200F until the meat approaches 180F, then approach 180F asymptotically". That allows you to put the pork roast on and walk away and not be worried if your golf game runs late and you come back in 9 hours instead of the planned 8.

You can do recipes like brisket, where you are cooking for so long that you absolutely know the meat will be ready when you are done. But that is about it. It would have been nice if the Bradley folks had started by saying, "How do people typically smoke things manually?" and then tried to automate that process. I could do without the multi-stage thingie, but no meat thermometer input? That's just silly.

icerat4

CAN YOU SET IT AT 190 AND HOLD THAT TEMP.I am sure ya can.And here were i live in the back woods no problem just pass me another beer and ill check the smoker.YUP its done hehehehehhe  ;D honey get the taders done. ;D six more racks to add 2 my 4 rack set i am done.For now. :P

Habanero Smoker

Curtis;
I've been trying to get on the Bradley site, but my anti-virus program is blocking me, reporting that the site is trying to download an internet worm. I have to send Martin an e-mail to find out what that site is doing before I will give the anti virus program permission to unblock that site. Tomorrow I may try to access the site on another computer.

Sounds like you have the Raptor/Guru. If you do, that will certainly spoil you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

I just took a look at the manual for the digital smokers. I would have to say I agree with your assessment. I was planning on buying one in a year or so, because I like the idea of six racks. After looking at the manual, I'll wait until they add extra features. I'll stick with taking the extra time to set up my Raptor/Guru.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Oldman

Hey all did I miss something?

Those new units are suppost to sell for under $500.00 I think. Does not the BBQ Guru / Raptor that has all of those options cost around $600.00 in and by itself?

Back when I purchased my Stainless Steel 4 rack unit it cost me $550.00~~!  It seems to me that Bradley is offering a lot more in a 6 rack unit with a controller and for less monies. If that controller is PID and the temp swing is +/- 2 degrees I think it a great deal for the monies.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Yeah! you must have missed something  :) The Raptor/Guru package is around $249.00. If you want to get a ProCom 4 setup, then you would be paying about $550, but if you are talking about the ProCom 4, then it would be impossible to compare that with the simple digital controls on the Bradley.

What I'm saying is that the digital BS's are nice, but it's nothing that will out perform the current setup that I have. Plus once you get use to the ramp feature, there are many times you don't want to smoke without it. Also it's hard to believe that they would overlook a temperature probe.

Would I buy it if I did not have the Raptor/Guru? Yes! Currently I have something that out performs what the digital models have to offer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icerat4

tHATS THE ONE THING I DONT GET HERE WITH ALL YOU GUYS RETRO fitting these bs since they came out why didnt they take alittle more of what you guys did to modify these things such as temp gauges etc.Kinda make me wonder why follow when ya Can be in front.The bradley boys are a step behind some of you old timers here with all your gagets .Why didnt they incorprate those into the new design.Please dont say money.At 550 for the new 6 racker a few more bucks out of the comsumers pocket isnt going to hurt that much .Ill just sit here and wait til i see the first guy who rips this thing open and makes it  the 4  gen smoker .lol ;D maybe with a plazma and wireless built in .Or maybe like the jetsons just press  a button and walla.SMOKIN never so easy Ok guys ;) GOOD NIGHT.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Well, my PID controller is really a secret kept from the wife. I tell her I have to watch the temperature gauge. Of course, I am in the garage drinking beer. She believes me, otherwise I'd have all these Honey-Do(s) to do.

Arcs_n_Spark

icerat4

Good one arcs ;D thats why mine is in the shed too. :P

manxman

QuoteGood one arcs  thats why mine is in the shed too.

What, the BS or the wife!?  :o :o :o :o
Manxman