Looking For Advice Regarding "Sure Cure"

Started by OldHoss, October 31, 2012, 10:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHoss

I made Jerky last week - turned out pretty good but I can do better.

Thing is I used only salt, soy and worshtershire as a cure source...no Tender Quick no Praque Powder no Pre Packaged crap.  All I can find as far as nitrates or whatever they are called.....is Sure Cure from the butcher....the one with 6 percent nitrates he says.   Can I use this for Jerky......ie. toss it in with the brine.....and in what amounts???  I will be making Beef Jerky.  Four different kinds and I had intended to air cure it for a few hours but not longer than 6 I would imagine....then straight into the smoker.

Any advice would be apreciated here.  I live in Ontario Canada and cannot fine Tender Quick or Prague Powder anywhere.  The butcher says the Powder is what I need but does not know where to source it.
If you have it - smoke it.

devo

CURE #1
Some Other Names:
Pink Salt;
Tinted Cure Mix (TCM);
Tinted Curing Powder (TCP);
Prague powder #1;
InstaCure #1;
Modern cure;
D.Q. powder;
FLP;
L.E.M. cure;
Sure Cure;
Fast Cure;
Speed Cure

Though it goes by several different brand and generic names, they all have the same formula of 93.75% salt, and 6.25% sodium nitrite (1 pound of salt plus 1 ounce of sodium nitrite).

Now for how much to add to a wet cure I am not to sure. I have used this recipe before and it has a calculator on that page that you maybe can use for your recipe.
http://suburb.semo.net/jet1024/recipes/jerky/soy-jerky.html