porcealin covers when adding new element

Started by hoover, November 02, 2012, 07:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoover

thanks to all on the pid request.....another question, when i'm adding my second element i've noticed that my porcelain covers on each sidewhich holds the original element in place are both cracked........do i need to replace them or will it be ok with out them....i don't think my new wire from the second element will fit threw there with the covers on .  i can tighten it up with out the covers to keep the element in place......will that work.....

thx

mikecorn.1

You use the same ones. Just file down a notch big enough for the wire to fit in. I used a dremmel tool, other use a small round file. Good luck, that's some hard stuff. Take your time so they don't break on ya.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

You can get replacement insulators from Yard & Pool if the old ones are cracked too much.  I just filed down a notch in each of mine for the wires to fit through.

Bradley Smoker Replacement Porcelain Insulator - Set of 2

On the wiring, I ran a short 3-4 inch loop of high temp wire from each end of the second element to each end of the first one.  There's only one wire on each side going out the back of the cooking chamber.

rexster

I wore down two grinding stones on my Dremel getting notches cut for mine. That is some tough porcelain.......
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

tskeeter

I found that the Stanley Carbide grit rod saw, designed for use in a hacksaw frame, worked really slick.  Both caps done in a bit over five minutes. 

drano

4" angle grinder with thin cutting blade to notch mine out today. 
Still took some work, but I got it done. 
Yep, its some tough stuff!