Beef Ribs

Started by zueth, November 03, 2012, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I have never done beef ribs, but would like to give them a try.  I have done plenty of baby backs and spare ribs.  My question is will the 3-2-1 method work for beef ribs as well?

mikecorn.1

I would say YES. Depending on how much smoke you want on them, you can go less at the beginning. In foil you can do 2 or more depending on how gal off the bone you want. The same in the last step. I usually go less than the
1 hr even on spares.
3-2-1 is just a good guide. Modify to your liking. Good luck and post some pics.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Mani

I have done beef short ribs a few times, the 3-2-1 method was fine. I used a rub with more herbs and slightly more salt than I would for pork.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

MT-ED

Can you elaborate on the 3-2-1 method for ribs please?

classicrockgriller

3 hours in the Bradley (usually with smoke)
2 hours in a foil pan (with juice/sauce) foil lid
1 hour back on the Bradley rack to set the bark/sauce

This explains the process:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0

beefmann

sounds like a great idea

jjmoney

Depends how big your ribs are. I have some huge beef rib racks that took just about as much time as a brisket. 3 hours of smoke is a good start, but it's up to your discretion after that. I have come to think in terms of the unmodified Bradley as a small oven that struggles to maintain temperature (at least for me in cool weather). I'm going to do another batch of beef ribs tomorrow and will just do them as an overnighter.

joeduke

Would it be a good idea to boil them in the vac pack bag for a few hours before smoking??

TedEbear

Quote from: joeduke on March 20, 2013, 03:35:16 AM
Would it be a good idea to boil them in the vac pack bag for a few hours before smoking??

There's a popular saying that if you boil ribs the terrorists win.   ;)

Ka Honu

What kind of ribs are you talking about?  Slightly different cooks for dino bones, short ribs (thin sliced), and short ribs (flanken style).