Never smoked a turkey

Started by hktkct, November 04, 2012, 11:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hktkct

I have never smoked a turkey, but I need to know the basic things to do, I will probably have a 20lb turkey, I dont know anything about brineing, do I keep it in ice while brineing? how long? what mixture to use in brine? I am going to use apple for smoke for 2-3 hrs, would it be best to finish turkey in kitchen oven?I have always wanted to do a turkey ( but I'am chicken,,maybe I should do chicken instead)I hope these aren't to many questions but I need help with this one

mikecorn.1

Here's a recent thread for smoked thanksgiving bird

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

SoCalBill

I am going to attempt a turkey this year with my TBE and maybe a little smoking before it goes in. My real question is the brine. Is it needed? Aren't most store bought turkeys already brined? I just worry that i would be adding even more salt or other items when it isn't needed. I need the expects to chime in on this one.

Habanero Smoker

Most turkeys are prebrined, so brining these days is optional. Below is a list of brines, though concentrate on the ones for turkey or chicken:

Brines

Make sure that your turkey will fit in your smoker; you don't want any last minute surprises.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)