Two Chickens

Started by zueth, November 05, 2012, 11:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I had two chickens fro Costco and thought about cooking them both in SRG or both in Bradley, but ended up doing one in each.

The night before I rubbed them with peanut oil and one with John Henry's Pecan Rub and one with Webbers Beer Can Chicken Rub.  I also applied the rub underneath the skin of the breast, then in the fridge fro a overnight rest.

For the chicken in the bradley I cooked it at 250 with 3 hours of Pecan smoke, the chicken took about 3 hours and 15 minutes, then flavor was good but the skin was not as crisp as I like. 

For the chicken in the SRG I preheated the SRG on high and added hickory chips until they begin to smoke then added the bird and tuned it down to low with lid closed. The bird took 80 minutes to cook, both were pulled when the breast hit 160.  The flavor was very good, but not as much smoke flavor as the other.  The skin was nice and crispy and very flavorful.  So I think still the best way to go is Bradley then SRG.

Here is the bird cooked in SRG:

Here is the bird cooked in Bradley:

mikecorn.1

They look great. That's a method quite a few of us use. Bradley to add smoke and SRG, grill, or home oven to finish and get the skin crispy.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

JZ

They both look good and now you have leftovers for a long time. :)

zueth

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on November 05, 2012, 11:57:12 AM
They look great. That's a method quite a few of us use. Bradley to add smoke and SRG, grill, or home oven to finish and get the skin crispy.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, I have done it that way in the past, just first time that I did one in each, so I could compare.

viper125

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.