new element success

Started by hoover, November 07, 2012, 05:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoover

thx to all with the new element answers.  i fired it up last night and did a couple bacon wrap tenderloins (pork) just to try it out.  preheated to 230 and it reached that in 10min with it being 30 degrees outside.  put the meat in and the temp dropped to 190 but in 9min it was back to 230.....using the pid sure made it easy.  left the meat in to 145 took about 1hr 35min..........it was perfect friends couldn't believe how good it was........one thing i notice was the outlet outside is on my office wall and my lights were diming all the time in my office when the pid and smoker was kicking on and off...is that normal how much juice is that new element and the old one taking....with the two elements i think this could be a fire hazrds.........things a guys does to cook in wisconsin in the winter

thx

mikecorn.1

Nice, too bad you don't have any pics cause

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

rexster

Yep, no pics, never happened.......
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

TedEbear

Quote from: hoover on November 07, 2012, 05:23:05 PMone thing i notice was the outlet outside is on my office wall and my lights were diming all the time in my office when the pid and smoker was kicking on and off...is that normal how much juice is that new element and the old one taking....with the two elements i think this could be a fire hazrds

With two elements, the SG hotplate and the PID the total current is less than 9.5A.  That is in addition to whatever else is running on the same circuit at the time.

tskeeter

Hoover, the reason your lights are dimming is the the circuit that you are using is over loaded with the smoker on it.  It sounds to me like you are using a 15 amp circuit.  My brother, the electrician/electrical engineer tells me the operating load for a circuit is no more than 80% of the rated load of the breaker.  So, for a 15 amp circuit, the load should not exceed 12 amps.  Since the smoker, etc. is generating a load of close to 10 amps, that doesn't leave a lot of capacity for other devices.  Especially when you consider that a single 60 watt light bulb draws .50 amps at 120 volts.  Put the smoker set up and a light fixture with four 60 watt bulbs on the same circuit and you're pretty well maxed out.  Add anything else and the circuit is over loaded. 

bostonsmoker

Hoover: how difficult was the upgrade to add another element? How long did it take? Ive seen instructions for an orig Bradley - is that what you followed? Thx.

rexster

Quote from: bostonsmoker on December 04, 2012, 10:39:37 AM
Hoover: how difficult was the upgrade to add another element? How long did it take? Ive seen instructions for an orig Bradley - is that what you followed? Thx.

There's a lot of information on this on these boards. Do a search and read the results at your leisure. When I did mine several months ago, I exhausted myself reading all the posts. If you do that you'll be in a better position to do the upgrade easily.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer