Bacon help needed

Started by bostonsmoker, November 04, 2012, 05:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: BAM1 on November 08, 2012, 06:12:32 PM
  If someone's getting store bought bacon this good I'd like to know where.

It is  not easy to find in most areas, but several small butcher shops, small food specialty store sell artisan bacon. They are pricey, but I have bought a few and found all to be really good. I'm fortunate to live in an area where there are many craftsmen making a variety of artisan foods; from breads to whiskey.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 09, 2012, 01:30:51 AM
Quote from: BAM1 on November 08, 2012, 06:12:32 PM
  If someone's getting store bought bacon this good I'd like to know where.

It is  not easy to find in most areas, but several small butcher shops, small food specialty store sell artisan bacon. They are pricey, but I have bought a few and found all to be really good. I'm fortunate to live in an area where there are many craftsmen making a variety of artisan foods; from breads to whiskey.

I'm confused Hab! And no I know that's not unusual. LOL! Just exactly what is the difference between artisan and home made. I personally think its a title for the wealthy or Posh society. I know we have some gifted people here that are a cut above the normal home made. And to me it would mean them you included. But my taste buds are evidently not as posh as some.  But then some of the artisans food I tried to me didn't taste as good as my own! :)
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Artisan is derived from the Italian word artigiano which means craftsman. Artisan foods, such as bread, bacon, whiskey etc are foods meticulously produced on a low scale, by highly experienced/trained craftsmen. They are usually small operations, so one could classify it as home made. Often they have been perfecting their craft for many years, use old world recipes, but not always. They try to stick with organic foods.

I can cook and cure some good foods, but it far below the foods made by these true craftsman. Often the term Artisan has become a word that is use like the word gourmet. I believe Tostidos makes commercial taco chip they call Artisan. So if something is labeled Artisan, it could be commercially made, which is not as good as foods produced on a small scale, by those who have years of experience and/or training.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Well maybe! but i wouldn't bet the farm against quite a few of you guys. After so many years of experience in any thing most people do become a true craftsman. Guess i'll have to try some my self one day. Thanks for the info.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.