I Hate My Auber Duel Probe

Started by SmokeNSolace, November 11, 2012, 09:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Also on the probes I haven't had a bad one since I baked my first ones. And the re silicon fixed it then. Haven't had a problem since.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

hybridcx

I hated my dual prob for teh first 6 months. now i cannot imagine not having it. we do alot of snack sticks and fish of different variety and need a good constant temp and it does without fail. but the learning curve is not fun.

Smokeville

All I can add is that I'm old enough to remember writing computer programs on paper and then using a keypunch.

This makes the Auber interface look like the bridge of the Enterprise.

Rich

viper125

Yep Rich and it really wasn't all that long ago.
Inside setup.

Smokeville

Quote from: viper125 on January 04, 2013, 02:36:48 PM
Yep Rich and it really wasn't all that long ago.

Oh so true. How did I get so old so fast?

SmokeNSolace

How'd you get old so fast? By using technology this :)

paulsnapp

If you look at all the forum posts for the Auber PID you will find that maybe half of the users have trouble with the programming but in a short time learn how easy it really is and then love the unit.  It's main function is as a temperature contoller which it does very well.  I think everyone who owns one would agree that the display is not the best in the world when it is viewed outside in the sunlight.  I have a Garmin hand held GPS that I paid almost $600 for and it is hard to view it's screen in direct sunlight.  This is one feature, however, that I would agree Auber could work on.  The alarm on mine is loud enough that if I am anywhere near the unit I can hear it.  If I am inside the house with the door shut it is a problem I guess.  I have a Maverick remote temp unit that I keep inside and it lets me know when a time or temp is reached if I need to know that.  As others have posted, compared to the full on/off controller that comes from Bradley, the Auber PID is a vast improvement - far from being a POS.

You need to step back and look at what you have gained, give yourself a little time for your learning curve and I think you will end up like the rest of us - loving the Auber.  If not, I am cetain you can find a buyer quickly on Ebay.  Good luck with your smoking!
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod

GusRobin

You can quickly find a buyer on this forum.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

Well it was all greek to me too. But i chose to do this they didnt make me. So i learner. Really easy and dos all it suppose to. Learning curves are expected in anything worth doing. I know now i own two. And wouldnt want to be with out. Also great for my roaster too boiling some meats. Dont like it sell it. But cant see complaing about how something is becaue i dont want to bother learning how to operate.
Inside setup.

Defiant

Sorry it is not working out for you and as others have stated, it should be easy to sell.  I was hesitant to spend this much for one, but I got tired of the temperature swings in my BDS and bit the bullet.  I am really glad I did, it does an amazing job keeping the temperature within a degree.  As far as programming, I did not think it was that difficult and was up an running on it right off the bat.  I like the accuracy and the fact you can program in multiple steps with different temperatures and durations for the meat or the smoker.  I have found everyone on this forum to be extremely helpful, so just ask for help or do a search.

Smoke some

This is the thread that got me up and going..... Thanks to all the contributeted to it...you made it easy pesy GusRobin

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18346.0

viper125

Yes that is a straight forward and great post. I printed there online docs and kept by the smoker for a while.

Also as to a couple other problems like a preheat and things. I added the dual element mod ever since i find the preheat not needed or not like before. Use to be it warmed so slowly you had to. But with the dual mode I set to starting temp and add meat. I found if I set to 140 to dry the meat it gets there in short time. And I can adjust the start time of my pucks from not to 20-40 or even 1 hour later. All by how far you advance the pucks. So lots of times i'll set to say 140 and set my pucks in the S.G. then just turn on with out advancing. This means 60 minutes later the smoke will start. So I don't have to come back out.
Inside setup.