Dumb question on turkey breasts but Im'ma ask anyways

Started by Consooger, November 11, 2012, 07:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

1. I'M BACK, HAVE LOTS OF BOOZE LEFT FROM THE WEDDING AND EVERYTHING TURNED OUT AWESOME
2. I WILL POST SOME PICS ON MY DAY OFF TUESDAY FOR EVERYONE (WIFE SAID I HAVE TO....don't ask)
3. I have a few simple questions about turkey breasts I was asked to do for Thanksgiving.

I am planning on doing 3 Turkey breasts, 2 will be used for Thursday and 1 will be used Friday. Father in law wants one plain and one brined and brother in law wants one brined. They are gonna range in the 6-7 lb range. I already have a plan for brining them so that is not an issue. (Unless of course someone has an AMAZING honey brine recipe) My issue is:

Everyone plans on eating around noon-1pm on Thursday as well as Friday. Can I simply cold smoke and vac seal all 3 breasts lets say on Wednesday and when I wake up on lets say Thursday and Friday morning can I put these into the oven until they are done the day of. I don't want anyone sick thus me asking. If I need to I will wake up super early and just smoke/cook them so they are ready by the time everyone wants to eat. I just want to make sure because every time I have done breasts I have smoked/cooked all the same day.

Thanks!

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Consooger

"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Ka Honu

Once you start cooking poultry (including cold-smoking), finish the job.  All at once.  No breaks.

squirtthecat

Yep, start to finish at once.   Either get up reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally early, or do them the night before, go to bed reaaaaaallllllllllly late, and reheat for a bit for the feast.

Or, do them this Sunday at your leisure, vacuum seal them after they have cooled off, then reheat in a pan of hot (not boiling!) water on Turkey day morning.   Cut open, slice and enjoy.

I'd pick door #2 Monty.    They are always better left over.

Consooger

so actually put them in the water???? as if I'm boiling pasta or put them in a roaster pan over boiling water, almost like a crock?
               -My Wife

GusRobin

I think he means to put the vac sealed breasts in a pot of hot water, not boiling as it may break open hte bag.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Consooger

-My Wife

OU812

Turkey breasts dont take that long to cook,,,heres one I did and it only took around 3 hr start to the plate

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=28808.0#top

See'n you dont have TBE finish in the oven on a rack over an roasting pan with some turkey broth in it, then make gravy outta the drippings

Should only take 3 to 4 hr start to finish

If the skin starts gettin to dark before its done just drape some foil over it

And the most important part of a juicy turkey breast is you only need to take the IT to 160 F in the hot box

Then when ya let it rest (for at least 15 min, I go 20 min) under foil the IT will come up to 165 F

Ya gotta let it rest before ya carve

Now I got a hankering for some turkey  :o

squirtthecat

What they said!

Now I'm hungry for smoked turkey as well.......    ;D

Consooger

whoah whoah whoah who said I don't have a TBE?  :o :( 8)
               -My Wife

OU812

Quote from: Consooger on November 13, 2012, 05:54:59 PM
whoah whoah whoah who said I don't have a TBE?  :o :( 8)

OK,,,I take back every thing I said about the oven thingy  ;D

Consooger

PERFECT......so the plan should be, smoke in the bradley, bring the breasts to the house we're going to, TBE travels nicely, and blast it until finished? I think that will work!
               -My Wife

OU812

Quote from: Consooger on November 13, 2012, 06:04:18 PM
PERFECT......so the plan should be, smoke in the bradley, bring the breasts to the house we're going to, TBE travels nicely, and blast it until finished? I think that will work!

How long of a trip is it to this said house?

Consooger

15 minutes......i could probably finish them here and wrap them up and take them. To be honest I NEVER thought of using TBE at all...... DUH!!!!!!!!!! ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
               -My Wife

OU812

I would finish at home,,,,,,,the ride to this said house would be the rest the breast needs.

The hard part is the planing with your host to have all the fixings ready when ya get there  ;)