Championship Chili Recipe

Started by Tenpoint5, November 12, 2012, 07:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I have been asked how I made my chili for the chili cook off by several folks. So after much consideration, here it is. Well, as best as I can remember and am willing to share!  :-X  ;D

Tenpoint5's Championship Chili Recipe

5-7 quart pot or Standard Crock Pot
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large Onion Chopped/Diced
3 Cloves Fresh Garlic Minced
1 package Chili Seasoning Mild to Hot
2 8oz cans Tomato Sauce
1 1/2 cups Water
2 15-16oz cans of cooked Black Beans (1 can drained)
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Jalapeno powder
2 Tbsp. Slap Your Momma (3 if needed)
3 Tbsp. Starnes BBQ Sauce
6-8 Hot and Spicy Cooked Sausages (1/4rd the long way then chopped into 1/4 inch chunks)

Melt butter in olive oil over low-med heat. Add Onions and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more until onions s have softened. Remove onions and garlic, set aside. Next fry the burger in the remaining oil until just browned. Drain grease from meat. Turn heat to low and return meat, onions and garlic to pot. Thoroughly stir in entire packet of chili seasoning. Add tomato sauce, water, beans and other seasonings. Return heat to medium and let chili simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add water if needed. Then add in sausage chunks let simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve.

**If using a crock pot. Place all items in pot, after draining grease from burger and stirring in chili seasoning. Place crock pot on low and let everything come to temp over a 3-4 hour period. Stirring occasionally.

As always adjust seasonings as needed to make it taste right. This chili should not be hot in your mouth, but should leave a warming effect in the back of your throat after you swallow. Not overpowering but enough to make you want more.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

Good lookin' pasta sauce and beans recipe you got there.  Must be an I-state thing.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 12, 2012, 08:04:55 PM
Good lookin' pasta sauce and beans recipe you got there.  Must be an I-state thing.

Now that you mention it I bet it would taste good over pasta. Leave out the sausage chunks and the beans and it would make one heck of a hot dog chili!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Consooger

NOM NOM NOM, i'm gonna havta try this. Wife has been hankering on some chili too
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

JZ

I am impressed that you would share a championship recipe with others and thank you for that.  8) I can't replicate it anyways since I don't have access to some of the ingredients, like Starnes and Slap your momma and my wife won't eat chilli. So I will likely never have the opportunity to taste this but appreciate you sharing this. :)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: JZ on November 12, 2012, 10:33:08 PM
I am impressed that you would share a championship recipe with others and thank you for that.  8) I can't replicate it anyways since I don't have access to some of the ingredients, like Starnes and Slap your momma and my wife won't eat chilli. So I will likely never have the opportunity to taste this but appreciate you sharing this. :)

Don't get too mushy on me JZ. You have to reread the last sentence. especially the last 3 words.  There might be one or two more things I added for the cook-off!  ;D

Silvergrizz

Looks a great starting point to build on for those cold winters ahead, thanks

JZ

QuoteDon't get too mushy on me JZ. You have to reread the last sentence. especially the last 3 words.  There might be one or two more things I added for the cook-off!  ;D

Apparently I don't read very thoroughly when I've had a few ::) and I can be "mushy" too. So I guess I should not drink when I post or not post when I drink ................. this is gonna be tough decision. ;D

Tenpoint5

I have heard good things about this recipe. I hear it did well in a chili cook off. I won't comment on it too much. I will let that person tell the story.

Silvergrizz won't need to do much tweaking with this recipe.

SouthernSmoked

Last week I was doing a cook test for some Chili...

Let me step back first and explain, here in the Cincinnati area the local Hospitals get together and have a Chili cook-off and all the proceed are giving to charity of the winners choice.

Cincinnati Children's Hospital, University Hospital, Bethesda Hospital, St Elizabeth and several more.

Big thing here in the Cincy area.................. cinnamon in the Chili.

Anyway back to where I started, I was testing several recipes for my wife's TCU Unit and at the same time talking with Chris and he mentioned his "Championship Chili" -

Want my recipe?

Huh! I'll give that a try too and we'll see.

So on Wed's 14th I turned in both Chili's - mine and Chris's.

Mine had cinnamon and Chris's was a little on the spicy side (just enough heat on the backside)

Well Cathy's, my wife, unit selected mine (maybe because of her being the boss) and another unit, selected Chris's..............both Chili's made it in.

Saturday 17th, in Springdale, Ohio the cook-off took place. One hundred and fifty two entries. WOW, now that's a lot.

Around 4pm that day Cathy got a text and informed us that both of our entries ended up in the top 15.

Out of 152 entries Chris's Chili finished 8th and mine finished 12th.

Not bad for two Bradley boys!  8)
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

The winnings was donated to the breast cancer foundation. I am taking this as a win myself 8th out of 152!

Keymaster

Tenpoint5

Cold front pushing through. Weatherman yacking bout frosty conditions in the morning. Sounds like the perfect weather for a Chili Challenge! Fired up a batch of this chili to be entered tomorrow in defense of of last years championship!  Used some of my Andouille in the chili this year. Will let you know how it does.

Saber 4

That's great news on the wins and charity donations SouthernSmoked and go get em and get the big return win this year Chris, but you know this old Texas boy has got to give you a hard time about them beans in chili... it just ain't right ;)

Ka Honu

Quote from: Saber 4 on October 05, 2013, 11:35:16 AM...beans in chili... it just ain't right ...

... not to mention the part about there being a bunch of tomato sauce and no chiles in that recipe. Oops; I wasn't going to mention that.