Turkey Rubs

Started by zueth, November 14, 2012, 10:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

With Thanksgivign coming up, I am starting to think about what Rub I want to do on my Turkey.

Would like to hear what other have used for Rubs? I am thinking Jan's Rub this year.

In the past I have used the rub with love turkey rub and it was very good.

http://store.tomdouglas.com/rubs-c2.aspx

Illinois Hokie

I will be doing EVOO massage and then a rub of 2 Tbs my rub recipe (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=30373.msg359522.msg#359522) and 1 Tbs poultry seasoning. I'm then going to do a bacon weave over the bird because my mother in law specifically requested it.

Habanero Smoker

When it comes to my Thanksgiving turkey, I like to stick with the traditional flavors of the northeast.

This simple rub is surprisingly good:
Basic Poultry Rub

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

I like this on a Thanksgiving turkey

1 1/2 tsp ground sage
1 1/2 tsp ground thyme
1 1/2 tsp ground marjoram
1 1/2 tsp ground savory
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

I coat the bird with peanut oil then the rub, let sit at room temp wile the cooker warms up

Dont forget to make some gravy outta then drippings  ;D

KyNola

Quote from: zueth on November 14, 2012, 10:10:55 AM
With Thanksgivign coming up, I am starting to think about what Rub I want to do on my Turkey.
Would like to hear what other have used for Rubs? I am thinking Jan's Rub this year.
Good choice! ;)

TedEbear

Last Thanksgiving I used this Rub With Love Turkey Rub.  It tasted pretty good and I'm going to use it again.

zueth

Quote from: KyNola on November 14, 2012, 05:49:21 PM
Quote from: zueth on November 14, 2012, 10:10:55 AM
Good choice! ;)

Anybody now if the sugar in the Jan's rub will cause the skin to burn when cooking in SRG?

Ka Honu

Quote from: zueth on November 16, 2012, 01:04:06 PMAnybody now if the sugar in the Jan's rub will cause the skin to burn when cooking in SRG?

I've never had a problem with it.

Although not necessarily "traditional" for Thanksgiving, I've also have had success with a Cajun rub and with the rub from Saveur.com's Chile-Rubbed Roast Turkey.

zueth

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 16, 2012, 01:13:33 PM
Quote from: zueth on November 16, 2012, 01:04:06 PMAnybody now if the sugar in the Jan's rub will cause the skin to burn when cooking in SRG?

I've never had a problem with it.

Although not necessarily "traditional" for Thanksgiving, I've also have had success with a Cajun rub and with the rub from Saveur.com's Chile-Rubbed Roast Turkey.

Thanks, yes the rub with love that I used, had those more traditional flavors.

zueth

Quote from: OU812 on November 14, 2012, 05:33:35 PM

1 1/2 tsp ground sage
1 1/2 tsp ground thyme
1 1/2 tsp ground savory
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

I coat the bird with peanut oil then the rub, let sit at room temp wile the cooker warms up

That rub sounds good, does that make enough for one turkey?

OU812

Quote from: zueth on November 17, 2012, 02:20:22 PM
Quote from: OU812 on November 14, 2012, 05:33:35 PM

1 1/2 tsp ground sage
1 1/2 tsp ground thyme
1 1/2 tsp ground savory
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

That rub sounds good, does that make enough for one turkey?

Its perfect for a 10 lb bird

You might want to double it for a big turkey

Tenpoint5

Light rub of oil then some Slap Your Momma will be going on my bird.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

zueth

I have done the Cajun seasoning before when deep frying a bird and it always turned out good.  Never have done it when smoking.  This is what I used. 

http://shop.tonychachere.com/seasonings-c-8030.html

Have you done it before, how did you like the result.

cajunboudreaux

Here is what i did last week for a company party. I made a Brine using 1 cup Jans rub, 2 cups apple juice, 1 can reg coca cola, 1 sliced orange (squeezed), 1 apple (cut and chopped), 1 small bottle of Louisiana hot sauce all in 5 gallon bucket. fill half way with water place turkey in brine and cover with ice. attach lid. Brine for 24 hours.. Remove from Brine rinse well, inject with tony chacheres creole butter (doctored up a bit with jalapeno juice and La hot sauce ) cover with frenchs yellow mustard and apply jans rub and HOT slap yo mama to outside then deep fry at 325 for 31/2 minutes per pound in peanut oil.. remove let rest for 15 minutes then carve and serve. Thats it.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

KyNola

Quote from: cajunboudreaux on November 19, 2012, 11:56:30 AM
Here is what i did last week for a company party. I made a Brine using 1 cup Jans rub, 2 cups apple juice, 1 can reg coca cola, 1 sliced orange (squeezed), 1 apple (cut and chopped), 1 small bottle of Louisiana hot sauce all in 5 gallon bucket. fill half way with water place turkey in brine and cover with ice. attach lid. Brine for 24 hours.. Remove from Brine rinse well, inject with tony chacheres creole butter (doctored up a bit with jalapeno juice and La hot sauce ) cover with frenchs yellow mustard and apply jans rub and HOT slap yo mama to outside then deep fry at 325 for 31/2 minutes per pound in peanut oil.. remove let rest for 15 minutes then carve and serve. Thats it.
WOW!  I'll bet that was some kind of good.