First Ham time! - Virginia Dry Cured (Final finished product pics!!)

Started by ExpatCanadian, November 15, 2012, 03:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Brewoz on March 20, 2013, 01:40:49 PM
Was it salty? Looks good!!!

It was a little salty...  but not too bad.  I'm normally quite sensitive to saltiness...  I don't like too much.  It was soaked for 12 hours, but I'm going to give the next piece a full days soak.

viper125

Well I loved grand Paps hams and they were done in large wooden barrels the same way. But way to salty no matter how long I soaked them. I much prefer the new cures. But i too am sensitive to much salt, and makes me retain water,not good for my heart. So will let you others enjoy the salt treated ones. But always seemed they had a better smokey flavor through out the meat and not just the surface layer in those days. Enjoy!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: viper125 on March 21, 2013, 09:57:09 AM
But always seemed they had a better smokey flavor through out the meat and not just the surface layer in those days. Enjoy!

Yeah...  although the Bradley is a great piece of kit, I think you really can't replace some of the traditional methods like smoking continuously for 7 days in a smokehouse...  or over here in Europe hanging up high inside a chimney for the entire drying time!