1/2 Deer 1/2 Mule

Started by Bear1968, November 17, 2012, 07:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear1968

Started a 13lb Venison Ham yesterday at about 1 PM, 120F for twelve hours then stepped it up to 140F for another 8 while I Slept.
In the morning I went up to 170F and that thing is STILL in the 140s, 146 at the time of this post.  :-\
This is the LONGEST I have ever had a Piece of meat stay in the 140s. I am thinking about 8 hours so far.
Case temp has been good ...... dipping to 163F, but when it started getting dark I bumped it up to 180F.
This a very Stubborn hunk of venison. I am already NOT looking forward to smoking the other one from this deer.
Gonna be an all-nighter .... can't sleep at this point because my reception from the smoker to my bed is not a sure thing with my older Maverick. I can not depend on the alarm.  :'(
Good thing it is a Saturday night and I bought extra beverages for Sunday Football. I may need them tonight  ;)
Need to get me one of those new Mavericks with the big 'ol Antena-ma-bobber  ;D

UBC Local 268

GusRobin

There is a simple mod you can to the old maverick that improves the reception. It fact after I modified it I think the reception was a bit better than my new 732. The 732 has a few better features, the one I like best is the alarm if you lose signal.
Anyway, the mod involves soldering a 6 inch wire. Before I did mine, I never soldered anything so if I can do it, anyone can.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Bear1968

Getting a bit pissed off now .... it is getting colder and now my case temp is falling .... cranked her up to 200.
In the back of my mind I hear "Welding Blankets"  :o

Thanks Gus!
Do you have a link to what is needed?
UBC Local 268

Habanero Smoker

Here is the link to the ET-73 Mod

I don't know why it is taking so long for you ham to get up to you set internal temperature. If you are using the Bradley you can shave off some time by using less drying time. Especially for a 13 lb. cut of meat, you could probably cut it down to 6 - 8 hours. If the eight hours at 140°F was during the smoke application, then after that stage I would have bumped the cabinet to 200 - 225°F; to finish cooking the ham.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Any time have done full hams and when I get ready to do them. I plan for 36 hours in the smoker.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Bear1968

Yup, it took a bit longer than 36 hours. Definitely not one of the easier smokes. I did 10lbs of Summer Sausage in another smoker while the ham was going and that was like falling off a log. The Ham was a bit more stubborn.

Now I got to get the lil buggers ready for travel. They will be going to Pittsburgh tonight in style, traveling in a Black Hummer Limo for a Tail Gate Party for the Steeler Game. I opted to stay behind and watch the Game from the comfort of my own Lazy Boy and get some more Christmas Cheese smoked.
;)
UBC Local 268

devo

DANG Bear that just looks AHHHHHSOME 

Caribou

That came out beautiful
Now I don't feel so sorry for you having to wait so long  ;)
It was worth it!
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Looks really good. Let me guess that small taster piece, tasted a lot like chipped beef. Salty and delicious.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ExpatCanadian

Looks awesome!!  Jeez,  A 36 hour smoke...  most I've done is about half that so far...