Pre brined turkey. Should I brine more?

Started by Swim Dad, November 17, 2012, 11:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swim Dad

As I have been readying here, most commercial birds come pre-brined.  Is this enough for smoking or should I brine some more?  I have a big enough cooler.   I am going to experiment with a 14lb bird first and freeze in and then do a 18.5 lb bird for the Thanksgiving. 

I just did a chicken last week using Habs Low Salt Brine.  It was good, but the breast was not as juicy as I was expecting.  Should I adjust my expectations for juicy breast meat in poultry?  Dry breast meat is what I am not a fan of in turkey. 

I have a question about the TBE, but will post that in the appropriate forum.

I am going to make sure I take lots of pics this time, promise.

OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)

zueth

Quote from: Swim Dad on November 17, 2012, 11:07:07 AM
As I have been readying here, most commercial birds come pre-brined.  Is this enough for smoking or should I brine some more?  I have a big enough cooler.   I am going to experiment with a 14lb bird first and freeze in and then do a 18.5 lb bird for the Thanksgiving. 

I just did a chicken last week using Habs Low Salt Brine.  It was good, but the breast was not as juicy as I was expecting.  Should I adjust my expectations for juicy breast meat in poultry?  Dry breast meat is what I am not a fan of in turkey. 

I have a question about the TBE, but will post that in the appropriate forum.

I am going to make sure I take lots of pics this time, promise.

Do not brine a enhanced Turkey.

Habanero Smoker

I don't find any benefits in brining poultry that has been commercially injected. I also avoid enhanced pork; sorry I just had to get that in there. :)

Check the package, if it is injected with a sodium solution of 5% or more of it's weight, I would not bother to brine. If it is less then 5%, you can brine, and may get better results. Again, read the label carefully, I have seen some chickens inject with water only. Those can definitely be brined.

What internal temperature are you taking your poultry to, and where are you measuring the temperature?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: Swim Dad on November 17, 2012, 11:07:07 AMIt was good, but the breast was not as juicy as I was expecting.  Should I adjust my expectations for juicy breast meat in poultry?  Dry breast meat is what I am not a fan of in turkey. 

For a more juicy turkey try laying strips of fatty bacon across the breast.  They say it has the effect of constantly basting the turkey as it's cooking. 

I've been reading a lot about doing that this year and I think I'm going to give it a try.  I found a non pre-brined turkey last year (Perdue brand) and brined it myself but I like to experiment with new ideas and this bacon thing looks interesting.  Do a Google search for something like bacon juicy turkey for more on the subject.

Illinois Hokie

Quote from: TedEbear on November 18, 2012, 07:03:33 AM
Quote from: Swim Dad on November 17, 2012, 11:07:07 AMIt was good, but the breast was not as juicy as I was expecting.  Should I adjust my expectations for juicy breast meat in poultry?  Dry breast meat is what I am not a fan of in turkey. 

For a more juicy turkey try laying strips of fatty bacon across the breast.  They say it has the effect of constantly basting the turkey as it's cooking. 

I've been reading a lot about doing that this year and I think I'm going to give it a try.  I found a non pre-brined turkey last year (Perdue brand) and brined it myself but I like to experiment with new ideas and this bacon thing looks interesting.  Do a Google search for something like bacon juicy turkey for more on the subject.

I'm doing a full on bacon weave on my smoked turkey this year, at the request of my MIL. When she requested it I kind of groaned on the inside, but now I'm actually looking forward to it after reading up on it.

Swim Dad

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 18, 2012, 02:51:58 AM
What internal temperature are you taking your poultry to, and where are you measuring the temperature?

On whole chicken I try to go 160 on breast. We do legs  a lot and 160 makes them to chewy for my taste.  Leg racks on weber gas grill.

From reading the posts here I should go for 160 on the turkey in the breast and then let it rest.

I am going to start my bird In about an hour.  Will try the some bacon.  I also have some Jan's rub I will use.  I did not brine last night given Zueth's advise. I will read the label more closely on the birds.

Thanks
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Swim Dad on November 18, 2012, 09:52:08 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 18, 2012, 02:51:58 AM

On whole chicken I try to go 160 on breast. We do legs  a lot and 160 makes them to chewy for my taste.  Leg racks on weber gas grill.

From reading the posts here I should go for 160 on the turkey in the breast and then let it rest.

I am going to start my bird In about an hour.  Will try the some bacon.  I also have some Jan's rub I will use.  I did not brine last night given Zueth's advise. I will read the label more closely on the birds.

Thanks

The best way is to separate the white and dark meat. White meat I take to around 155°F. For legs, if you don't go to 165°F, they will be a little tough, and if not taken to that temperature, many people will detech a metallic taste in the meat.

Illinois Hokie;

I would practice the bacon wrap on a small whole chicken, just to see how it turns out. You don't want something like that to fail, and not have a backup plan.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)