Smoking spiral cut ham?

Started by 4given, November 19, 2012, 08:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

Hi everybody! I have been away for a awhile.  I have been doing a lot of bass fishing, hunting and not much smoking.  Now that winter is setting in the smoker will get a lot more use! :)

I was wondering if any of you have smoked a spiral cut ham? You know the kind you get at the supermarket. I know it has already been smoked or had smoke flavoring added. I am wondering if a few hours of smoke in the bradley would enhance the flavor enough to be worth while.
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

OU812

Heck YES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a secound smoke will knock that ham outta the park!!

Tenpoint5

Yep that would be a great way to add a little extra flavoring. I would suggest using the clean T-shirt method from the recipe site.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

Be careful with a spiral-cut; they can dry out more easily than a whole "chunk."  Other than that, should be great.

KyNola

I have smoked them before.  Since they are already cooked you can smoke them at around 200 degrees to keep from drying it out.

Adds a more pronounced smoke flavor.  I find that a lot of commercially smoked hams have very little smoke flavor to me so the additional smoke is welcome.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 19, 2012, 09:54:49 AM
Be careful with a spiral-cut; they can dry out more easily than a whole "chunk."  Other than that, should be great.

What he said!

Last spiral one I did, I hit with a couple hours of smoke, then wrapped it tight after adding some liquid to the foil packet/pan.

4given

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 19, 2012, 09:27:07 AM
Yep that would be a great way to add a little extra flavoring. I would suggest using the clean T-shirt method from the recipe site.

Why the T-shirt method?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

4given

What do you guys think.... Applewood or Hickory?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

Tenpoint5

Quote from: 4given on November 19, 2012, 11:17:52 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 19, 2012, 09:27:07 AM

Why the T-shirt method?
the T-shirt when tied tight will hold the Ham together so the slices don't dry out on you.

Is there any other choice but Hickory??
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

4given

Thanks Tenpoint5...... I have a lot of hickory ;)
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

Habanero Smoker

In this case, rather then using a T-shirt, you can accomplish the same with ham netting if you have that, or if the ham is already in netting leave it on.

It is recommended that you reheat cured hams to 140°F. Apply the smoke at around 120 - 140°F, after applying the smoke it would be better to raise the cabinet temperature as high as it will go, and bring the ham up to 140°F much faster. Or transfer it to a 325 - 350°F oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

Do yourself a favor and but a ham that is not already sliced, you will find that the meat is very moist and tasty compared to a pre-sliced ham.

SiFumar

Quote from: zueth on November 20, 2012, 12:46:15 PM
Do yourself a favor and but a ham that is not already sliced, you will find that the meat is very moist and tasty compared to a pre-sliced ham.

I agree!  If you need nice slices, run thru a meat slicer after.(cut bone out of course ;D )

4given

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 20, 2012, 02:34:36 AM
In this case, rather then using a T-shirt, you can accomplish the same with ham netting if you have that, or if the ham is already in netting leave it on.

It is recommended that you reheat cured hams to 140°F. Apply the smoke at around 120 - 140°F, after applying the smoke it would be better to raise the cabinet temperature as high as it will go, and bring the ham up to 140°F much faster. Or transfer it to a 325 - 350°F oven.

No ham netting so I'll probably use a t-shirt. I'll do that apply the smoke a little cooler then finish in the oven after the turkey comes out.
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

Habanero Smoker

If you keep it tight you should have not problem with it drying out. One thing about the T-shirt method; Olds developed that method to make the smoke flavor milder. If that is a concern, you may want to use butchers string and tie it several times, running end to end.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)