3 cheeses

Started by Grouperman941, November 19, 2012, 04:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouperman941

Tried asiago, jarlsberg, and jack cheeses (above, before) with 1 hour 20 minutes of apple.

It was just under 90 degrees the whole time.

Here's what it looks like:

I tried a piece of the jarlsberg right away, and I liked it. I can see how it needs to mellow out though.

I wrapped it in a hurry and stuck it in my spare fridge without zip-locking it. Man, it stinks out there right now.

If this tastes good, I'm giving some as Christmas presents.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

JZ

Well your a better man than me. :) I can't eat cheese right out of the smoker cause it tastes like an ashtray to me. :P Give it a few months and it's good to go.

Better yet, give it some AMAZN love and it will be good sooner. Then I can eat it the day after the smoke, but still better after a week or so.

I haven't those cheeses you smoked cause they are not available her unless you go to a Deli and then the prices are stupid crazy. Well to me ............. I don't think $10 /lb for cheese is reasonable. But the cheeses I have tried are horrible right out of the smoker but get good after a couple of months or more. Unless you give it some AMAZN lovin then it is not bad right out of the smoker and is pretty darn good in a few days and excellent in a week or 2.

zueth

Care to elaborate on this?

AMAZN love

What is that>?

SiFumar

Interested in hearing how the asiago turns out.  I make an asiago cheese bread and I'm sure it will be better if smoked!

JZ

QuoteAMAZN love

What is that>?

Here ya go www.amazenproducts.com/

Hey Grouperman let us know how the cheese is when you get to eatin it. :)

Grouperman941

Quote from: JZ on November 20, 2012, 03:09:42 PM
QuoteHey Grouperman let us know how the cheese is when you get to eatin it. :)

Only a few days, but the asiago is very good. It's a little strong to eat by itself, but I think it would be great in a recipe.

The jack is not so good. Definitely needs resting time.

I am going to leave them alone until a couple days before Christmas.

SiFumar

Good to hear about the asiago cheese.  It is strong...even without smoking.  That's why I like it in cheese bread.  Will try it when I smoke cheese again! Thanks!

Grouperman941

Update -- the asiago is really really good. The jack finally mellowed and I like it. The jarlsberg just kind of tastes like swiss cheese.

It really is amazing how they continue to change as they sit.

I have waxed all of these now, reserving one of each for sampling. I have deemed them good enough to gift.  :)

SiFumar

Thanks for the update!  Will add asiago to my next cheese smoke!