Smoked Turkey Cooking Time Help

Started by Chomondely, November 20, 2012, 06:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chomondely

15 lb turkey. I plan to smoke for smoke with apple for 3 to 4hrs at 230. I then plan to transfer to a 325 oven to get to 165 for the breast.
I know that I should cook to temperature. However, I have some hungry grandparents who have trouble waiting.

I need an estimate as to how long it will take in the oven to get to temperature.

Alternatively, What is the best way to keep the bird safely warm?
Thanks for your advice. Happy Thanksgiving!

beefmann

in the over at 325 i believe it is 15 to 20 mins a lb  and the best way to keep it warm if FTC   
Foil
Towel
Cooler

good luck

TedEbear

Quote from: beefmann on November 20, 2012, 10:46:56 AM
in the over at 325 i believe it is 15 to 20 mins a lb 

But he's smoking it for 3-4 hours before it gets to the oven.  The internal temp will probably already be 140 degrees or so.

I guess a lot of people are wondering how long it will take to reach an IT of 165 in the oven after the initial stage in the Bradley.

TedEbear

Quote from: Chomondely on November 20, 2012, 06:39:41 AM
15 lb turkey. I plan to smoke for smoke with apple for 3 to 4hrs at 230. I then plan to transfer to a 325 oven to get to 165 for the breast.
I know that I should cook to temperature. However, I have some hungry grandparents who have trouble waiting.

I need an estimate as to how long it will take in the oven to get to temperature.

Since no one apparently knows the answer I'll post the results from my experience this Thanksgiving for future reference. 

I smoked a 14.5 lb turkey in my OBS, starting out with 4 hours of smoke and the chamber temp at 250*F.  I have dual elements, so it wasn't difficult to reach or maintain that temp.  After the initial 4 hours the breast was 145*F.  I took it out of the Bradley and placed it in my TBE to crisp the skin and finish cooking. 

I figured it would take another 2 hours in the TBE but after 45 minutes it was at 165*F.  It was done cooking slightly ahead of schedule but I wrapped it in foil, in a towel, in a cooler (FTC) until everyone arrived and we were ready to eat.

So, a total cooking time of 4:45.  You may need to adjust your time based on the size of the turkey, your smoker configuration and the outdoor temp and wind.  It was a rather warm and windy Thanksgiving, with an outdoor temp of about 55*F while it was cooking.

Chomondely

Great success!
Bird had been injected so I brined with Pachanga's low sodium brine followed by a rub  with sage, paparika, garlic powder and fresh pepper.
Smoked 3.5 hrs with apple @ 230. I put a hot brick in the smoker to help reduce the temperature drop.  IT in the brest was about 120.
Finnished in oven @ 375 for 1.5 hours. A bit high, but the Grandparents arrived early and hungry. IT in breast to 165.
Perfect.
Wife tried to roast a convential bird in the other oven. She learned that turkeys cook much faster if you hit the start button on the oven.
I could say, "I told you so", but I value our marriage.

Any way, the smoked turkey was moist with just the right amount of smoke. The skin was crisp with a nice color, but a bit tough.
All loved the smoked bird.

TedEbear

Quote from: Chomondely on November 25, 2012, 08:38:30 AM
Any way, the smoked turkey was moist with just the right amount of smoke. The skin was crisp with a nice color, but a bit tough.
All loved the smoked bird.

You might try the bacon wrap trick on a future bird.  I did that this Thanksgiving and I received emails on how wonderful the turkey was.  I've gotten compliments on how good a turkey tasted during a meal before but never after someone got home and emailed me about it.

Anyway, it sounds like you got the cooking timing down pretty close.