Whats everybody smoking for Thanksgiving?

Started by rooster85, November 20, 2012, 08:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster85

Like the title asks, whats everybody smoking on thursday? I raise about 95% of the meat we eat so im smoking two ducks and a turkey on thursday. Decided to brine the ducks and the turkey in a spicy maple brine.
What about everybody else?

Consooger

3 8 lb turkey breasts, 2 10 lb pork butts, and some jerky for myself  8)
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

TedEbear

I'm smoking a 14.5 lb whole turkey for 4 hours and then transferring it to TBE to crisp the skin and finish cooking.  I'll have an 8 lb turkey breast in the regular oven in a roasting bag.  15 people are coming over, so there should be plenty of leftovers, unless my wife gives it all away again.

I'm going to try the bacon wrap idea that everyone's been talking about and see if it makes it more moist.

Kell

Also have a 14lb pre basted turkey so no brining and will finish on the grill.   Will probably add 2 racks of baby back ribs as well to the smoker.  :D

irnman1827

Boston butt in the DBS and a 20 lb turkey in the SRG.

OU812

Smokin up a 8 1/2 lb Turkey breast, 12 lb whole Turkey and a ham.

Also makin up some mashed taters with gravy made from the birds, , green bean casserole, some dinner rolls, stove top stuffing, some veggies.

Then finish off with a couple home made pumpkin pies and some of these things called Oreo truffles.

I might be missing some thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,but we will see what tomarrow brings  ;D

Bear1968

My smoking for Thanksgiving has been done for a day or so.  Smoked Pepper Jack and Sharp Cheddar Cheese, A small Venison Ham, Summer Sausage and Smoked Almonds. They are all going with my father to the Party he is attending. I am gonna stay at home and make a pot of Pasta Sauce with Beef Neck Bones and Hot Italian Sausage and await the incoming waves of Turkey and Pie that always follow a Holiday for me  ;)
Thought about doing a Turkey breast or even a duck with the trimmings but I plan on watching football all day and hell, for me nothing in the world is better for a full day of Football than a home made pot of sauce over top of home made gnocchi  ;)
UBC Local 268

KyNola

Quote from: Bear1968 on November 21, 2012, 07:19:31 PM
I am gonna stay at home and make a pot of Pasta Sauce with Beef Neck Bones and Hot Italian Sausage. hell, for me nothing in the world is better for a home made pot of sauce over top of home made gnocchi  ;)
Bear, you had me at Pasta Sauce with Beef Neck bones and Hot Italian Sausage. :)  Enjoy your day!

rooster85

Sounds like a bunch of good eats. Maybe next year i'll do another rib roast. Thinking now that maybe two ducks and half a turkey may be a little to much for two people but i do enjoy my duck so we'll see. Have a happy and safe thanksgiving everybody. Enjoy!

SiFumar

Quote from: OU812 on November 21, 2012, 06:12:04 PM

Also makin up some mashed taters with gravy made from the birds, , green bean casserole, some dinner rolls, stove top stuffing, some veggies.

Stove top stuffing?  You cook/bake absolutely everything fantastically...surprised there.

I only smoked pecans for T-day.  Can't believe I was out voted for smoked turkey.  :'( They wanted traditional.  Oh well,  smoked and sugared and spiced pecans are great!

Bear1968

Quote from: KyNola on November 21, 2012, 07:29:08 PM
Bear, you had me at Pasta Sauce with Beef Neck bones and Hot Italian Sausage. :)  Enjoy your day!

;) Thank You!
UBC Local 268

OU812

Quote from: SiFumar on November 21, 2012, 08:07:05 PM
Quote from: OU812 on November 21, 2012, 06:12:04 PM

Stove top stuffing?   You cook/bake absolutely everything fantastically...surprised there.

I only smoked pecans for T-day.  Can't believe I was out voted for smoked turkey.  :'( They wanted traditional.  Oh well,  smoked and sugared and spiced pecans are great!

Im kinda lazy when it comes to the stuffing  ;D

Bridger Brisket

Put a turkey in the smoker about an hour ago.  First time :P  Using Jan's Rub and will finish in the oven.  Taking pics and will update if it turns out well.  Happy eats everyone.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rooster85

Well, just checked my ducks and turkey, still have an IT of 140. Gotta pull them soon to crisp them in the oven.