Rack temp variation

Started by nzo, August 02, 2016, 01:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzo

Hi all,

First post for me since I started with my Bradley.
I've tried salmon, duck, brisket, chicken, turkey, ribs and pork so far with varying results.

I seem to be able to get the white poultry perfect (brined first) but the duck and beef have all been somewhat tough when reaching temp.

I am starting to get a handle on the different temps on the 6 racks but it would be great if someone had already compiled some kind of chart which can be used to calculate differences.
It's hottest at the bottom of course, but the very top rack doesn't seem to be the coolest though. I only have one temp sensor at the moment and it's not very practical switching it around to different cuts so I expect I'll have to get at least a second sensor.

I am suspecting that the beef cuts are tough because they weren't very good quality to start with (UK supermarket cuts) but we don't have ready access to US style cuts such as packers which seem to be the ideal brisket for this.

Any UK smokers here who can recommend (internet) sources for great smoking cuts?

tskeeter

No, I think you are on the right track.  Many years ago I had a similar experience with US grocery store beef.  Always flavorless and kind of tough, no matter what cut I bought.  Finally figured out that all of the area grocery stores were selling select grade beef, not choice or prime grade.  In the last several years, many US grocery stores have begun selling choice beef, and some even have prime available. A great step in the right direction.

Habanero Smoker

What internal temperature are you taking the duck to?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)